The White House is looking for a replacement for John Gibson II, the Pentagon’s first-ever chief management officer (CMO), for a “lack of performance,” according to defense officials. Gibson, whose primary duty is reforming DOD’s business operations including real property management, remains in his job for now but his responsibilities have been scaled back, reports the Wall Street Journal. He was informed by Deputy Defense Secretary Patrick Shanahan more than a month ago that leaders weren’t satisfied with the results of his work. Gibson’s expected departure suggests the department’s initiative to find savings within its massive bureaucracy and apply them to modernization needs — one of Defense Secretary Jim Mattis’ top priorities — is “foundering,” one official told the paper. “All of Mattis’ modernization ambitions lie in the money that Shanahan and Gibson were going to harvest out of the institution in savings and efficiencies,” the official said. “Without it, Mattis is truly in trouble.”DOD photo by Tech Sgt. Vernon Young Jr. Dan Cohen AUTHOR
Lawmakers who negotiated the compromise military construction-Veterans Affairs spending bill weighed in on the administration’s proposal to shift the Army Corps of Engineers’ civil works program to two other agencies, the Transportation and Interior departments. “The conferees are opposed to the reorganization as it could ultimately have impacts for implementation of the military construction, BRAC and family housing programs,” they stated in the report’s joint explanatory statement.The conferees who hashed out the conference agreement for the defense and labor-HHS-education appropriations minibus went a step further, barring DOD from spending any funds to plan or carry out the proposed restructuring. Those conferees said they opposed the reorganization “as it could ultimately have detrimental readiness and operational impacts on Department of Defense functions and activities, to include USACE [Army Corps of Engineers] support to ongoing military operations, international partners and support to United States military installations around the world,” according to that report’s joint explanatory statement. Lawmakers from both chambers’ defense and milcon spending panels admonished DOD for failing to notify them about the proposal and emphasized it will require legislative language, which has not yet been proposed or requested.Army Corps photo by John Campbell Dan Cohen AUTHOR
WILMINGTON, MA — Here are several opportunities to catch live music in Wilmington this week:Larry GilbertTuesday, December 18, 6pmThursday, December 20, 6pmRocco’s Restaurant & Bar193 Main Street, WilmingtonPianist Ricky LauriaThursday, December 20, 8pmTremezzo2 Lowell Street, WilmingtonKaraoke with Winnell EntertainmentFriday, December 21, 8pmPacific Grove211 Lowell Street, WilmingtonNOTE: Know of any other musical performances happening in town this week or in the coming weeks? Let me know at email@example.com.Like Wilmington Apple on Facebook. Follow Wilmington Apple on Twitter. Follow Wilmington Apple on Instagram. Subscribe to Wilmington Apple’s daily email newsletter HERE. Got a comment, question, photo, press release, or news tip? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.Thank You To Our Sponsor:Share this:TwitterFacebookLike this:Like Loading… RelatedLIVE MUSIC in Wilmington (Week of May 27, 2018)In “Business”LIVE MUSIC in Wilmington (Week of March 25, 2018)In “Business”LIVE MUSIC in Wilmington (Week of December 24, 2017)In “Community”
Rescuers sit in a boat on Lake Victoria on 22 September, 2018, during searches for victims a day after the ferry MV Nyerere capsized. Photo: AFPTanzania declared the whole nation was in mourning Sunday as the first dozen bodies were buried from a devastating ferry capsize on Lake Victoria that left people 224 dead.Prime Minister Kassim Majaliwa led “national funerals” on the island of Ukara, where the MV Nyerere had been coming in to dock on Thursday.He spoke of “great mourning by the whole nation” as the first coffins were placed in individual graves, many of the victims unidentified.The remainder of the dead were to be lain to rest later or taken away by families wishing for privates funerals.The prime minister said a memorial would be built on Ukara.Hopes had faded of finding any more survivors three days after the disaster, even after rescuers pulled out an engineer on Saturday who had holed up in an air pocket in the upturned vessel.But Majaliwa said divers would continue the grim search in the waters around the boat. The ferry would also be refloated.He updated the death toll to 126 women, 71 men, 17 girls and 10 boys. Just 41 people survived.- ‘Overloading’ blamed for tragedy -Transport Minister Isack Kamwelwe said 265 people had been on board the ferry, which had an official capacity of 100 or 101 passengers.The prime minister said initial investigations suggested overloading was one of the causes of the accident.”We have already arrested all those people in charge of operating and supervising the MV Nyerere. Questioning has begun,” he said.A broader commission of inquiry into the disaster would also be set up, Majaliwa added.One survivor was an engineer who shut himself into a “special room” with enough air for him to stay alive until he was found, said local lawmaker Joseph Mkundi.Transport minister Kamwelwe said on Saturday that 172 of the bodies had been identified by relatives.State television cited witnesses reporting that more than 200 people had boarded the ferry at Bugolora, a town on the larger Ukerewe Island. It was market day, which usually sees the vessel packed with people and goods.Witnesses told AFP that the ferry sank when passengers rushed to one side to disembark as it approached the dock. Others blamed the captain, saying he had made a brusque manoeuvre.- Grief and anger -Dozens of wooden coffins had lined the shore on Saturday, waiting to be seen by families as police and volunteers sought to keep hundreds of curious locals at bay.Aisha William came to collect the body of her husband. “He left on Tuesday around noon, but he never came home. I do not know how I am going to raise my two children,” she said.Ahmed Caleb, a 27-year-old trader, railed at a tragedy “which could have been prevented. I’ve lost my boss, friends, people I went to school with,” he sighed.The ageing vessel, whose hull and propellers were all that remained visible above water, was also carrying cargo, including sacks of maize, bananas and cement, when it capsized.Tanzanian President John Magufuli on Friday ordered the arrest of the ferry’s management and declared four days of national mourning.”It appears clear that the ferry was overloaded”, he said, adding that the government would cover the funeral expenses.With a surface area of 70,000 square kilometres (27,000 square miles), oval-shaped Lake Victoria is roughly the size of Ireland and is shared by Tanzania, Uganda and Kenya.It is not uncommon for ferries to capsize on the lake, and the number of fatalities is often high due to a shortage of life jackets and the fact that many local people cannot swim.In 1966, more than 800 people lost their lives on Lake Victoria when the MV Bukoba sank off the mainland town of Mwanza, according to the Red Cross.
Prothom Alo IllustrationTwo suspected criminals were killed in what the law enforcers called gunfights in Gazipur and Bogura early Friday, reports UNB.In Gazipur, a suspected arms trader was killed in a reported gunfight between his cohorts and members of the Rapid Action Battalion (RAB) in Salna area.The deceased could not be identified yet.Tipped-off, a team of the elite force conducted a drive in the area around 2:30am, said RAB-1 Company commander lieutenant commander Abdullah Al-Mamun.Sensing the presence of law enforcers, the gang members opened fire on the law enforcers, prompting them to retaliate that triggered the gunfight.The gunfight left the youth injured with bullet while two RAB members sustained injuries.He was then taken to Shaheed Tazuddin Ahmad Medical College Hospital where the on-duty doctor declared him dead.The law enforcers recovered a pistol and ammunitions from the spot.In Bogura, another alleged top terror was killed in a ‘gunfight’ between two rivals groups in Dhundar Bridge area of Sadar upazila.The deceased is Rashid Anam, 25.The two rivals exchanged gunfire in the area around 1:30pm, said Sanatan Chakraborty, additional superintendent of Bogura police.On information, a police team went to the spot and found Rashid with bullet injuries, he said.Rashed later was taken to Shaheed Ziaur Rahman Medical College Hospital where doctors declared him dead.Police also recovered a pistol, a magazine and ammunitions from the spot.There have several cases with different police stations against him, the official added.
Industries have been set up encroaching the river banks. the picture taken from the banks of Balu river near the Sultana Kamal Bridge in Demra area. Photo: Prothom AloA list of 42,423 persons has been drawn up by the National River Protection Commission, naming those who have encroached upon rivers all around the country. The list includes tradesmen who have set up small shops as well as industrialists who have set up huge factories on the rivers. The encroachers include well-known persons and politicians. The commission has submitted the list to the parliamentary standing committee of the shipping affairs ministry.The encroachers have not only taken over rivers, but canals and wetlands all over the country. The local administration has drawn up lists of these encroachers upon directives from the river protection commission.The commission has said that the list will be scrutinized further to ensure no encroacher is left out. After that, a crash programme will be taken up to remove all illegal structures from the rivers within a year. The commission, however, has said it does not have adequate funds for the drive.The river protection commission is yet to receive the list of river encroachers in 12 districts including Dhaka, Dinajpur, Panchagarh, Gaibandha, Kurigram, Jamalpur, Bagerhat, Mymensingh and Netrakona. The administration of many districts has not given complete lists as yet. The commission has urged the concerned district administrations to submit the lists immediately.The lists indicate that local persons have set up shops and houses on most of the rivers. And in areas near around the capital city, alongside the local people, big industries have also encroached upon the rivers Sitalakkhya, Turag and Balu. In the port city Chattogram, the river Karnaphuli and the Chaktai canal are entangled in encroachments.On 1 July the Supreme Court passed a verdict declaring river encroachment to be a criminal offence. Rivers were declared to be living beings and the river protection commission was given legal guardianship of the rivers.Chairman of the river protection commission, Mujibur Rahman Howladar, told Prothom Alo, for the first time a list has been reared of river, canal and wetland encroachers. The deputy commissioners in the various districts basically carried out this task. This is a continual process and the lists will be scrutinized further to check if there are any more encroachers.He said a dive has already begun to remove the encroachments. A one-year crash programme will be taken up and implemented by the district administrations. He has called upon the government for adequate funds for the purpose.Sitalakkhya swamped by sand traders and dockyardsA look through the list shows that the banks of Sitalakkhya have been taken over by a number of dockyards. These include the Saudia, Shefa, Saud Khan, Abul Hossain and Ibrahim dockyards among others.Then again, sand traders are dumping sand into Sitalkhhya and filling it. The sand traders include HI Traders, Masum Enterprise, Salek Enterprise, Biplob Enterprise, Beauty Enterprise and Jashim Enterprise. Each of these traders has filled around 4800 sq ft of the river near Rupganj.State minister for shipping Khalid Mahmud Chowdhury has told Prothom Alo, the shipping ministry has a task force to protect the rivers. It would look after the rivers in and around Dhaka, but now, upon directives from the prime minister, it would look into all major rivers or the country.He said that the district administration has been told to take action against the encroachers, but this would require adequate funds. However, eviction has already begun in some districts.Industries on Turag, BaluThe rivers Turag and Balu on the outskirts of the capital city have also been illegally encroached upon by large industries. Anontex, Zarina Textiles, Anwar Group and other industrial groups have filled parts of the rivers and set up their structures.Karnaphuli encroachmentsAt least 777 persons have encroached upon the River Karnaphuli. Most of this has been done in the name of Bastuhara Samity (association of the homeless), by the association’s president and members. They have erected structures along the river.And another 2112 persons have occupied parts of Karnaphuli and tributaries. They have set up industries, temples and so on.Commercially important to Chattogram, the Chaktai canal has also been illegally encroached upon by at least 51 persons.And 10 persons have illegally occupied the river Banshkhali in Cox’s Bazar, by setting up fish farms there. Another 48 persons have set up bamboo houses and plantations on 13 acres of the river area. Similarly the rivers Sangu, Loharia, Laukathi, Ichhamati and others all over the country are disappearing under the establishments being set up by these illegal occupiers.Speaking to Prothom Alo about river encroachment, chairman of Transparency International Bangladesh (TIB), Iftekharuzzaman, said that it is a positive move that for the first time a list of river encroachers has been drawn up. More importantly, the list has been handed over to the parliamentary standing committee. The government should evict the encroachers with no discrimination or bias and also take legal action against them.* This report appeared in the print edition of Prothom Alo and has been rewritten in English by Ayesha Kabir
Baltimore, MD – On Wednesday, November 15th at 11am the Episcopal Diocesan Center (4 East University Parkway in Baltimore City), we will release new public opinion polling done by the independent research firm OpinionWorks showing strong public support for measures we will be proposing to improve prescription drug price affordability.“This year, Maryland made historic progress by enacting the nation’s first prescription drug price gouging bill which authorizes Attorney General Brian Frosh to prevent unconscionable price increases in generic and off-patent drugs,” said Vincent DeMarco, President of the Maryland Citizens’ Health Initiative, “As we turn our attention to making sure all expensive and life-saving drugs are affordable, including brand name and specialty drugs, we will focus our attention on consumers having the best information about costs and providing critically needed protection for them from excessive drug costs. The poll we are releasing shows overwhelming public support for reasonable measures to address prescription drug price affordability: banning the gag rules which now keeps consumers from getting the best price for some drugs, drug price transparency to help us understand the reason for high priced drugs, and a new commission to properly assess what Marylanders should be paying for now excessively priced and often unaffordable prescription drugs.” WHAT: Prescription Drug Affordability Initiative Polling ReleaseWHEN: Wednesday, November 15th, 11amWHERE: Episcopal Diocesan Center, 4 East University Parkway, Baltimore CityWHO: Vincent DeMarco, President, Maryland Citizens’ Health Initiative Steve Raabe, President, OpinionWorks Public Research The Health Care for All! Coalition is a broad-based coalition of over 1200 faith, labor, business and community groups that have been working to guarantee all Marylanders access to quality, affordable health care. To learn more, visit http://www.healthcareforall.com