Julien Gignac and Larissa Burnouf APTN National NewsThere are 107 wild fires burning in northern Saskatchewan, according to a provincial report issued Friday.Thursday saw 116 active forest fires across the province, according to a Saskatchewan wildfire management report posted on a provincial website. The report said 51 of the fires had spread across more than 100 hectares.The report said 14 fires have been extinguished, but 12 new fires have since flared up.The fires have so far forced the evacuation of 51 communities, including the Clearwater River Dene Nation. The number of evacuees is estimated to exceed 5,000.There have been 552 fires recorded this season alone, 360 more than all forest fires reported in 2014.Saskatchewan Premier Brad Wall had to abandon his flight plans to tour the northern Saskatchewan community of La Ronge earlier this week because of heavy smoke and reduced visibility caused by over 100 wildfires burning in the area.Heavy smoke is not only causing problems for flights into La Ronge, but helicopters and water bombers cannot take off from land or lakes in the community due to the low lying smoke cover. Highways and roads in the region north of Prince Albert are also closed due to reduced visibility from heavy smoke and wildfires jumping the highways and fresh burns igniting constantly.Weather forecasts also predict very little rain in coming days.General and high risk evacuation orders have been issued for dozens of northern Saskatchewan communities, with more than 4,600 evacuees registered throughout La Ronge, Weyakwin and La Loche fire areas earlier this week.Lac La Ronge Indian Band Chief Tammy Cook-Searson believes those numbers could be substantially higher.“Hundreds of families have fled the heavy smoke to stay with family and friends in southern communities. Many haven’t reported to the evacuation centers or the Red Cross,” she said.Cook-Searson said more than 2,000 evacuees from her region have been sent to Prince Albert, Saskatoon and Regina, with more evacuations being made throughout the day.The communities of Grandmother’s Bay and Sucker River are under general evacuation and only essential services workers, fire crews and a handful of volunteers stayed behind.In La Ronge, the surrounding reserves, Hall Lake and Little Red River reserves, all have high risk evacuation orders issued.Northern highway stretches have been cordoned off due to unpredictable fires.South of La Ronge on Highway 2, a portion of the road has been closed due to fire and heavy smoke.The communities of Montreal Lake Cree Nation and Weyakwin have been evacuated.Councillor Darryl Naytowhow said the fire in the vicinity of his community is “estimated at 300 hectares and still not contained.”He said the “fire went through the community but with great effort, no houses were burned.”He said 906 people were evacuated from both communities and more were being sent to shelters in Regina, as the shelters in Prince Albert and Saskatoon were already full.Donations are greatly appreciated for his community members as “many left in such a hurry that they forgot many essential items,” said Naytowhow.La Loche Mayor Georgina Jolibois said her community is working in collaboration with the Clearwater River Dene Nation and surrounding communities including Garson Lake and Ducharme Lake.Jolibois said there are four fires surrounding her community.She said 2,569 people have registered for evacuation, but 1,500 to 1,700 people have been sent south to Prince Albert and Saskatoon so far, with more convoys being coordinated.The communities of Ile-a-la-Crosse, Beauval, Pinehouse Lake and other surrounding northern villages have begun with high risk evacuations as the heavy smoke continues to move south.A fire ban has been implemented since June 26. The ban targets all northern provincial parks and recreation sites until the situation improves.An air quality statement produced by Environment Canada on Friday says to expect “widespread smoke across all of Saskatchewan.”Large amounts of smoke may cause health risks, particularly when it is close to ground, said Environment Canada.Saskatoon also registered high risk for air pollution, according to Environment Canada’s Air Quality Health Index.email@example.com@aptn.ca
KUSI Newsroom, February 19, 2019 Wife of Eddie Gallagher and Congressman Duncan D. Hunter defend prosecuted Navy SEAL Updated: 10:11 AM 00:00 00:00 spaceplay / pause qunload | stop ffullscreenshift + ←→slower / faster ↑↓volume mmute ←→seek . seek to previous 12… 6 seek to 10%, 20% … 60% XColor SettingsAaAaAaAaTextBackgroundOpacity SettingsTextOpaqueSemi-TransparentBackgroundSemi-TransparentOpaqueTransparentFont SettingsSize||TypeSerif MonospaceSerifSans Serif MonospaceSans SerifCasualCursiveSmallCapsResetSave SettingsSAN DIEGO (KUSI) — Special Operations Chief Edward Gallagher has pleaded not guilty to charges stemming from a 2017 deployment to Iraq.Prosecutors say he killed a teenage Islamic State fighter under his care and then held his reenlistment ceremony with the corpse.They also accuse Gallagher of shooting two civilians in Iraq and firing inadvertently into crowds.Congressman Duncan Hunter has recently sent a letter to President Trump asking him to directly intervene in the court martial proceedings on Gallagher. Hunter’s letter alleges political bias against Gallagher.Congressman Hunter and Andrea Gallagher, Edward’s wife, appeared on Good Morning San Diego to defend Edward.A military judge has postponed the murder trial of a Navy SEAL accused of fatally stabbing an Iraqi war prisoner.The three-month delay came Wednesday after defense lawyers asked for more time to go over the prosecution’s evidence.Defense attorney Phil Stackhouse said his team has received more than 1,000 pages of material from the prosecution since the end of January.The trial has been reset for May 28. KUSI Newsroom Categories: Good Morning San Diego, Local San Diego News FacebookTwitter Posted: February 19, 2019
Man pleads guilty to distributing thousands of Fentanyl pills SAN DIEGO ( KUSI ) – A Riverside man pleaded guilty in San Diego federal court Thursday to distributing thousands of fentanyl pills throughout Southern California.Marcell Travon Robinson III, 31, faces a 10-year minimum mandatory sentence for providing the pills to multiple area drug dealers over a three- year period, according to the U.S. Attorney’s office.Robinson was arrested by Naval Criminal Investigate Services — or NCIS — last October, following an NCIS investigation into fentanyl distributors.Robinson’s guilty plea comes with an agreement to forfeit $148,334 in cash and “several” firearms seized by investigators. He is slated to be sentenced Aug. 23.“This is a very serious warning to dealers and users: You are gambling with your lives,” U.S. Attorney Robert Brewer said. “To dealers, my office is very aggressively pursuing fentanyl distributors. To users, the drugs you are taking probably are not what you think.They are likely to be laced with deadly fentanyl, and may be the last thing you ever do. Don’t make this costly mistake.” KUSI Newsroom, KUSI Newsroom June 20, 2019 Posted: June 20, 2019 Categories: Local San Diego News FacebookTwitter
WILMINGTON, MA — Below is a press release from PETA:Armed with signs that proclaim, “Charles River Is Hell for Animals” and “Stop Animal Testing,” a group of PETA supporters gathered outside Charles River Laboratories in Wilmington on Thursday, April 25, 2019 during World Week for Animals in Laboratories.The Wilmington-based laboratory-for-hire performs poisoning tests on monkeys, dogs, rabbits, guinea pigs, and other animals and is also the world’s largest breeder of animals for use in experiments.“Charles River supplies one of every two animals used in experiments, so it has a hand in fully half of all the pain, misery, fear, and distress endured by animals in laboratories around the world,” says PETA Senior Vice President Kathy Guillermo. “This World Week for Animals in Laboratories, PETA is calling for an end to cruel and unreliable tests on animals.”PETA notes that Charles River Laboratories intentionally poisons animals by force-feeding them test compounds, smears caustic experimental chemicals onto their bare skin, and forces them to inhale toxic substances in painful and deadly experiments. The company’s history of animal-welfare violations includes failure to provide animals with veterinary care, failure to provide suffering animals with pain relief, and shoddy surgical methods.PETA Protestors outside Charles River Lab in Wilmington (Photo courtesy of PETA’s Twitter account)###Charles River Labs addresses its animal testing practices on its website:“Animals have contributed to nearly every medical breakthrough in recent history, including treatments for cancer, diabetes, and AIDS, and they continue to play an essential role in the development of life-saving drugs for people and other animals. The welfare of the animals contributing to research is of utmost importance and a prerequisite for the accuracy, reliability, and translatability of our research.”Like Wilmington Apple on Facebook. Follow Wilmington Apple on Twitter. Follow Wilmington Apple on Instagram. Subscribe to Wilmington Apple’s daily email newsletter HERE. Got a comment, question, photo, press release, or news tip? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.Share this:TwitterFacebookLike this:Like Loading… RelatedWilmington’s Charles Rivers Announces Recipients Of 1st Annual ‘Research Models in Drug Discovery’ AwardIn “Business”Wilmington’s Charles River Labs To Hold World Congress On Animal Models In Drug Discovery & DevelopmentIn “Business”Wilmington’s Charles River Labs Settles Overbilling Allegations For $1.8 MillionIn “Business”
Xiaomi smartphone users are eagerly waiting for MIUI 11, but the Chinese smartphone company has better news for its fans. Ahead of the feature-packed MIUI 11 rollout to all eligible phones, Xiaomi released a list of 11 devices that will receive Google’s latest Android Q as early as this year.Android Q beta for non-Pixel smartphones included Mi MIX 3, Mi 9 and Redmi K20 Pro and these phones naturally made it to the list of phones eligible for Android Q. Xiaomi additionally revealed the names of other smartphones to receive stable Android Q during the fourth quarter of this year. They include Xiaomi Mi 8, Mi 8 Screen Fingerprint Edition, Mi 8 Explorer Edition, Mi Mix 2S, Redmi K20, and Mi 9 SE.But the list doesn’t end there. Xiaomi further added two popular Redmi phones, Redmi Note 7 and Redmi Note 7 Pro, to the list of Android Q eligible phones. But owners of Redmi Note 7 models will have to wait until Q1 2020 for the update rollout. Redmi Note 7 ProTwitter/Mi IndiaThe information about Android Q stable rollout to 11 Xiaomi phones was posted on the official MIUI Forum in China. It’s worth noting that the rollout schedule is applicable to the Chinese variants of the eligible phones. Even though there’s no official word on when Android Q for the enlisted phones will arrive in global and Indian markets, it is possible that the rollout will be staged a few weeks apart.Considering Xiaomi is still working on MIUI 11, which has been in development since January, the company is playing it safe by stressing that the Android Q schedule is only a rough estimate. There might be some changes in the schedule depending on any hurdles that might arise. Android Q coming to these Mi phonesGoogleXiaomi’s list for Android Q eligibility is brief, but more devices are likely to be added in the near future. For now, Xiaomi users have something equally exciting to look forward to – MIUI 11. The updated custom Android interface is expected to bring smoother, better UI, major design overhaul, system-wide dark mode, optimisation for foldable screens and much more.MIUI 11 will be available to a long list of phones in Xiaomi’s portfolio. You can check all about it in our earlier MIUI 11 post. Close IBTimes VideoRelated VideosMore videos Play VideoPauseMute0:02/0:25Loaded: 0%0:02Progress: 0%Stream TypeLIVE-0:23?Playback Rate1xChaptersChaptersDescriptionsdescriptions off, selectedSubtitlessubtitles settings, opens subtitles settings dialogsubtitles off, selectedAudio Trackdefault, selectedFullscreenThis is a modal window.Beginning of dialog window. Escape will cancel and close the window.TextColorWhiteBlackRedGreenBlueYellowMagentaCyanTransparencyOpaqueSemi-TransparentBackgroundColorBlackWhiteRedGreenBlueYellowMagentaCyanTransparencyOpaqueSemi-TransparentTransparentWindowColorBlackWhiteRedGreenBlueYellowMagentaCyanTransparencyTransparentSemi-TransparentOpaqueFont Size50%75%100%125%150%175%200%300%400%Text Edge StyleNoneRaisedDepressedUniformDropshadowFont FamilyProportional Sans-SerifMonospace Sans-SerifProportional SerifMonospace SerifCasualScriptSmall CapsReset restore all settings to the default valuesDoneClose Modal DialogEnd of dialog window. COPY LINKAD Loading … Is Redmi Note 7 the new-age Nokia 3310?