UEFA said on Monday it had allocated 236.5 million euros ($256 million) to its 55 member associations to help overcome the financial impact caused by the coronavirus pandemic.Each national federation will receive 4.3 million euros which can be used towards “its own priorities in light of the negative impact of the coronavirus on football at all levels,” the body said in a statement.The funds come from UEFA’s HatTrick assistance program, which was created in 2004 to support development projects for each member federation. The program will have distributed 2.6 billion euros by 2024, UEFA said. Global governing body FIFA announced on Friday it would release $150 million to its 211 member associations “as the first step of a relief plan”.Those funds originate from the Forward 2.0 program, which was launched in 2016 and will provide $1.746 billion in total. Topics : “Our sport is facing an unprecedented challenge brought about by the COVID-19 crisis. UEFA wants to help its members to respond in ways that are appropriate to their specific circumstances,” said UEFA president Aleksander Ceferin.”As a result, we have agreed that up to 4.3 million euros per association, paid for the remainder of this season and next, as well as part of the investment funding, can be used as our members see fit to rebuild the football community.”Last week European football’s governing body released almost 70 million euros in benefit payments to clubs struggling financially during the health crisis. The money was originally put aside to be paid to clubs who had released players for international matches after the completion of the European Championship qualifying play-offs.
Howard’s deputy Joel Robles may get his chance to impress this month anyway as Martinez has typically deployed him in the Capital One Cup, while next Saturday the Toffees host Dagenham in the FA Cup third round. Martinez sees the run of three home fixtures in seven days as an ideal chance to banish the memories of the Stoke defeat when his men threw away a 3-2 lead. “There are so many games in a short period of time that we’re going to have a really good opportunity to show how good we are as a squad,” he said. “Everyone will be needed and we can’t wait to get rid of the horrible feeling we left ourselves against Stoke at Goodison.” Martinez has refrained from publicly criticising his 36-year-old United States international, though, as he tries to work out how to prevent Mauricio Pochettino’s team from experiencing as much joy as the past two visitors to Goodison Park. “Every player’s position is always under scrutiny; I think we are what we are because of the competition for places that we have,” the Spaniard said. “But, in the same manner, I don’t think it’s a situation down to one individual. It would be very stupid from us just to think the solution is to blame someone. Tim Howard had an incredible moment against Newcastle, he had a great save in a key moment of the game. “Clearly defensively we haven’t been good enough of late at home and I don’t think it’s down to one player. But , in the same way, nobody has guaranteed their starting place just because of your name or your past.” With Leighton Baines only just back from injury and fellow England international Phil Jagielka sidelined for the past two months because of a knee problem, Martinez has had to place his trust in a youthful back four ahead of Howard. And he believes the stopper’s vast experience is invaluable in trying to get them back on track. “At the moment, we are realising that the importance of Tim Howard is important to help a young team like ours to reach the best level and be as good as we can,” Martinez added. “It’s an area we don’t want to look away from, we need to become better, we have to defend the box better, but I think that’s a team responsibility rather than just highlighting one individual.” Roberto Martinez appreciates Everton must tighten up at the back if they are to beat Tottenham, but he does not believe the buck stops with goalkeeper Tim Howard. Spurs head to Goodison Park on Sunday hoping to be the latest travelling side to benefit from a porous home defence that has conceded seven times in back-to-back defeats against Leicester and Stoke. Howard has shouldered plenty of criticism for those performances after he conceded a penalty against the Foxes, while he was lobbed by Xherdan Shaqiri and failed to deal with a cross in the build up to the Potters’ third goal on Monday. Press Association
Tobiloba Amusan The race which was her first in the city was won by fastest woman in the barrier race this year, Jamaican Danielle Williams who clocked 12.46.As predicted by track and field aficionados, USA’s reigning world champion Kendra Harrisson was second behind Williams in 12.66 secs.Although Amusan could not match her PB of 12.49secs achieved earlier this year, she no doubt has establish her name as a force in the women’s sprint hurdle.The petite hurdler has already qualified for the final of the event scheduled to hold at the Memmorial Van Damme in Brussels, Belgium for the second consecutive year.Amusan’s compatriot, Blessing Okagbare failed to make the podium in the women’s 200m, clocking 22.83 to place fifth at the Muller Grand Prix.Shaunae Miller-Uibo the Olympic 400m champion from The Bahamas, had been caught by Dina Asher-Smith by the half-way stage while two-time world champion Dafne Schippers also looked poised to strike.But the long-striding Miller-Uibo kept her cool and reeled in Asher-Smith down the home straight, replicating her victory from last year.She crossed the line in 22.24 (0.4m/s), which would have surely been quicker in warmer conditions and on a faster track.Asher-Smith held on for second place in 22.36 with Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce completing the double-barreled podium with 22.50. Schippers was a few strides behind in 22.81.“The race didn’t go to plan,” said Miller-Uibo, who set a meeting record of 22.15 when winning here last year. “My start was just horrible and I had to rely on that 400m strength to get through.“I’m feeling good. Before the race we had an idea of how we wanted the race to go and it didn’t go as planned so I’m happy for the win and ready to move on to the next.”In what was possibly one of the closest ever men’s 100m races in IAAF Diamond League history, just 0.10 separated all eight finalists and 0.008 split the top two.In the end, Jamaica’s 2011 world champion Yohan Blake was given the verdict over Britain’s Adam Gemili as both were timed at 10.07 (2.0m/s). USA’s Michael Rodgers was close behind in third place with 10.09.Share this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegram *Field to hot for Okagbare in 200m, finishes in fifth placeDuro IkhazuagbeNigerian star Tobiloba Amusan finished third in the women’s 100m sprint hurdles event of the IAAF Diamond League meeting in Birmingham yesterday, clocking 12.71secs.