13 to remain in custody as investigation intensifies

first_imgThirteen of the 30 men who were arrested in connection with the recent deadly piracy attack in Surinamese waters will remain in Police custody for the next 30 days as homicide detectives continue their investigations.Based on reports coming out of the Dutch- speaking country, the court has granted a request by the Police to further detain the men as they conduct a thorough investigation.In addition, reports are that there is sufficient evidence against the men to warrant institution of charges.Suspected pirate Nakool ManoharThe surviving fishermen, who are cooperating with the Police, have since given the lawmen detailed descriptions of the attackers, some of which fit those who are presently in custody.Guyana Times was told that one of the men who were arrested with the others was released by the Police after the magistrate concluded that he had been in the “wrong place at the wrong time”. He reportedly was in the area making a drop off at the time the suspects were arrested.However, “Killerman,” who was arrested on May 16 for the attempted murder of a Police informant and the murder of Guyanese businessman Somnath Monohar, remains in custody. He was arrested by law enforcement agents after they had received information from an informant about his whereabouts. The informant who, according to reports, is an enemy to “Killerman”, was shot to his chest in an attempted execution by the suspect, who reportedly drove off the scene with another man in his vehicle.They were, however, pursued by Police ranks who were summoned, who subsequently arrested them.On May 9, it was reported that Monohar’s family allegedly offered US$50,000 as revenge money for his murder. Monohar was killed on March 30 while he and a colleague were standing in front of a relative’s home.Nevertheless, Nakool Manohar, the brother of the dead man, was fingered in the deadly piracy attacks which have thus far left four dead and 11 still missing.It was reported that Nakool, who was only recently arraigned on several piracy- related offences and is on remand, was on one of the boats that carried out the attack. The boat, Cristina-1 SK 1221, captained by Ron Drepaul, was identified by one of the survivors.Drepaul also was recently arrested.last_img read more