There has been a widespread outpouring of love and commendation for the bravery and quick-thinking shown by seven-year-old Kissan Henry after she managed to save herself and her four-year-old brother from a fire while they were at home alone.In recognition of her bravery, the Guyana Police Force on Saturday presented her with a plaque and a bottle of perfume. The simple presentation was done by Head of the Criminal Investigations Department (CID) Paul Williams, on behalf of the Commissioner and other members of the Force.“The Force has recognised her bravery and brilliant thinking from a humanitarian standpoint at such a tender age.”This initiative was the brainchild of Crime Chief Paul Williams.Last Monday evening, Kissan and her younger brother were asleep in their two-storey Glasgow New Housing Scheme, New Amsterdam, home when a fire erupted.However, the seven-year-old was awakened by the smell of smoke and after realising the house was on fire, she immediately wrapped her brother in a blanket and eased him through a window as far as the blanket could reach and then dropping him the remaining six feet.She then followed by jumping through the window; 14-feet to the ground, fracturing her leg in the process. Kissan then screamed for help and neighbours rushed over, kicking open the door to get to the fire. The fire service subsequently arrived and was able to extinguish the small blaze.At the time of the fire, the Police said the mother of the two children was at a “drug block”. Neighbours claimed they contacted the woman, informing her about the fire and she said she was on her way. By the time the mother arrived, the Police and fire service were already on the scene. After seeing the crowd, the woman reportedly told the driver to turn around and leave the area. On Wednesday, she showed up to the Police station in the company of a welfare officer.According to residents, the two minor children are left unattended and locked in the house for several hours on many occasions.A few months ago, the four-year-old boy was hospitalised after being burnt with hot portage when his sister attempted to make breakfast for him.The Childcare Department had visited the home after reports of child neglect. However, on the last occasion, they allowed the children to continue living with their mother after the children’s grandmother had promised to take care of them.The children are now in the care of an aunt.Young Kissan Henry with Crime Chief Paul Williams and others after receiving the award
Highlights from the news file for Tuesday, Jan. 9———TRUDEAU WON’T COMMIT TO ETHICS COMMITTEE: Prime Minister Justin Trudeau wouldn’t commit Tuesday to testifying at a special meeting of the House of Commons ethics committee about his controversial trip to the Aga Khan’s private island in the Bahamas. During an appearance on CBC Radio’s “Information Morning” in Halifax, Trudeau was asked directly whether he’d be willing to appear before the committee. He ducked the question, largely dismissing the idea as little more than an Opposition effort to score political points. The Conservatives want the ethics committee to summon Trudeau to testify about the December 2016 trip, which left taxpayers on the hook for more than $200,000. Ethics commissioner Mary Dawson, whose tenure ended Monday, said Trudeau violated four different provisions of the Conflict of Interest Act when he and members of his family accepted the trip, which Dawson said could be seen as a gift designed to influence the prime minister. A spokesperson for the prime minister has said Trudeau reimbursed the commercial equivalent of his and his family’s flights to and from Nassau. The prime minister has also acknowledged he should have taken precautions and cleared his family vacation prior to the trip.———TRUDEAU DEFENDS MEETING WITH JOSHUA BOYLE: Prime Minister Justin Trudeau is suggesting that security officials raised no red flags when his office arranged last month for him to meet freed hostage Joshua Boyle and his family. Trudeau says his office follows all the advice it’s given by security officials and did exactly that in the case of the Boyle family. Trudeau met with Boyle, his American wife and their three children in the prime minister’s Parliament Hill office on Dec. 18. On Dec. 30, Ottawa police laid 15 criminal charges against Boyle, including eight counts of assault, two counts of sexual assault, two counts of unlawful confinement and one count each of misleading police, uttering a death threat and administering a noxious substance. In the wake of the charges, questions have been raised about how someone alleged to have committed multiple crimes could have been granted a private meeting with Trudeau in the prime minister’s inner sanctum. The Prime Minister’s Office has said Boyle requested the meeting. It is not clear if Boyle was under police investigation at that time and Trudeau did not address that issue Tuesday in his first public comments on the meeting.———BANNON STEPS DOWN FROM BREITBART NEWS AFTER BREAK WITH TRUMP: Former White House chief strategist Steve Bannon is stepping down as chairman of Breitbart News Network after a public break with U.S. President Donald Trump. Breitbart announced Tuesday that Bannon would step down as executive chairman of the conservative news site, less than a week after Bannon’s explosive criticisms of Trump and his family were published in a new book. A report on the Breitbart website quotes Bannon saying, “I’m proud of what the Breitbart team has accomplished in so short a period of time in building out a world-class news platform.” Trump lashed out at Bannon for comments made in Michael Wolff’s “Fire and Fury: Inside the Trump White House,” which questions the president’s fitness for office. As Trump aides called him disloyal and disgraceful, the president branded his former chief strategist on Twitter as “Sloppy Steve,” an apparent reference to Bannon’s often unkempt appearance, and declared that “he lost his mind” when he was pushed out of the White House last August.———SOME PATRONS CALL FOR BOYCOTT OF TIM HORTONS OVER EMPLOYEE TREATMENT: Some are denouncing Tim Hortons and participating in a boycott until some Ontario franchisees and their corporate parent, Restaurant Brands International, come up with a different solution to offset the province’s minimum wage hike than clawing back employee benefits. A social media movement is encouraging people to join “No Timmies Tuesday” on Jan. 9 and instead visit independent coffee shops. The protest comes after some Ontario Tim Hortons franchisees eliminated paid breaks, fully covered health and dental plans, and/or other perks for their workers to help their businesses absorb the 20 per cent jump from an $11.60 hourly minimum wage to $14 at the start of the month. Those changes came to light after a letter from the owners of two Cobourg, Ont., franchisees — the married children of the chain’s co-founders — circulated on social media. Tim Hortons says individual franchisees are responsible for setting employee wages and benefits, while complying with applicable laws. But some franchisees argue the corporation — which controls prices — should help owners grappling with the mandated wage hike.———QUEBEC OPPOSITION BALKS AT ISLAMOPHOBIA ACTION DAY: The head of an influential Muslim group said he’s disappointed Quebec’s main opposition parties do not support a call by his organization to make the anniversary of Quebec City’s deadly mosque shooting a day of action on Islamophobia. Last Friday, the National Council of Canadian Muslims wrote to Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, asking for the Jan. 29 anniversary of the mass shooting one year ago to become a national day of remembrance and action on Islamophobia. Six Muslim men were shot and killed and 19 others were wounded in an attack on the mosque during prayers last Jan. 29. Alexandre Bissonnette is to stand trial in March on six charges of first-degree murder and six of attempted murder. But this week, the province’s two main opposition parties made it clear that, while they support a commemoration, they believe Islamophobia is a loaded term. The Parti Quebecois says the term is too controversial, while the Coalition Avenir Quebec deems the word inappropriate because Quebecers “are not Islamophobic.”———MOM AND HER TWO CHILDREN AMONG VICTIMS OF HOUSE FIRE: A mother and her two young children and an unrelated man who ran into a burning home to help those inside have been identified in a series of online tributes as the victims of a deadly house fire in southern Ontario. Authorities have declined to formally identify the two adults and two children who died in Monday’s blaze that gutted a home in Oshawa, Ont. But social media posts from family members, friends and organizations connected with the deceased have provided the names of the four who died. The Toronto Professional Fire Fighters’ Association identified three of the victims as Lindsey Bonchek and her two children, Madeline and Jackson. It described the trio as relatives of an association member. The daughter and the niece of the fourth person killed in the fire both issued emotional Facebook posts naming him as Steven MacDonald. MacDonald’s niece wrote that he died after going back into the burning home in order to rescue people inside.———NOVA SCOTIA FIRE VICTIM EMERGES FROM COMA, RELATIVE SAYS: A Nova Scotia man has been brought out of an induced coma, two days after a fast-moving house fire killed most of his young family, including a three-month-old baby, a relative says. “He was in pretty rough shape,” said Ervin Olsen of Yarmouth, N.S., the great-grandfather of two of the four youngsters killed in the blaze early Sunday in rural Pubnico Head. The father, local fisherman Phil Prouty, came out of the coma late Monday and was speaking, but his prognosis remained unclear, Olsen said in an interview Tuesday. His granddaughter, Emma Kennedy, has stayed by her common-law partner’s side in a Yarmouth hospital, mourning the loss of their blended family and a cousin as he struggled to survive, he said. Kennedy appears to be in good health, though she remains distraught about her family’s devastating loss, he said. A relative in Newfoundland who has launched a fundraising campaign for the family has said the victims ranged in age from an infant to a seven-year-old and included a cousin who was at the home for a sleepover.———FOUR WORKERS FIRED AT EDMONTON PRISON: The Correctional Service of Canada has fired four workers at Edmonton Institution following allegations of harassment, intimidation and bullying of other staff. Edmonton police are also looking into possible criminal charges as a result of behaviour at the maximum-security prison. A news release Tuesday said several staff were suspended last September while the Correctional Service brought in investigators to look into the claims. Additional disciplinary hearings are pending. Correctional Service spokeswoman Veronique Rioux added that two of the fired employees worked as officers and two were managers. She said there were both men and women in the group. A workplace assessment completed last year by investigation company TLS Enterprises described the prison as a toxic environment and made dozens of recommendations for change. The Correctional Service said it has already increased training and created a confidential tip line for employees to report misconduct.———ONTARIO SEEKS TO ALLOW TESTING OF DRIVERLESS CARS: Ontario drivers could soon find themselves motoring along the highway next to a car with no one in the driver’s seat. The province’s Liberal government is proposing to change the rules of its 10-year automated vehicle pilot project to allow for driverless testing. Currently, the testing of fully autonomous vehicles is only allowed with a driver behind the wheel, but the government is seeking public comment on a proposal to scrap that requirement. The province was the first jurisdiction in Canada to allow on-road testing of automated vehicles when the pilot project launched in 2016. There are currently seven participants, including BlackBerry’s QNX, Magna, Uber and the University of Waterloo. All of the participants have expressed interest in testing vehicles without drivers, a government spokesman said. The proposed automated vehicle changes also include allowing members of the public to drive vehicles that are less than fully automated — capable of driving automatically in limited scenarios — once they are available for purchase.———WINNIPEGERS RESPOND TO SHARKS CRITICISM: Some prominent Winnipeggers are biting back at criticism three San Jose Sharks players have levelled against the city. Mayor Brian Bowman, Premier Bill Pallister and singer Bif Naked are among those championing Winnipeg’s charms after several NHL players dismissed the Manitoba capital as the worst city to play in. Tomas Hertl, Justin Braun and Tim Heed all cited the cold, while Braun complained that the “Internet doesn’t work ever. I don’t know if they have Wi-Fi there yet.” Bowman countered that “it is a cold dark place — when you lose” while Pallister called the players’ comments “childish and immature.” Bif Naked said Winnipeggers are used to trash talk but also called the comments unfair, while Jets coach Paul Maurice said NHL players have a good life and should have nothing to complain about. The comments emerged in a video posted by the Sharks on NBC Sports California Twitter account, where the three players were asked for their thoughts about the worst city to play in. All said it was Winnipeg.———
The White House is looking for a replacement for John Gibson II, the Pentagon’s first-ever chief management officer (CMO), for a “lack of performance,” according to defense officials. Gibson, whose primary duty is reforming DOD’s business operations including real property management, remains in his job for now but his responsibilities have been scaled back, reports the Wall Street Journal. He was informed by Deputy Defense Secretary Patrick Shanahan more than a month ago that leaders weren’t satisfied with the results of his work. Gibson’s expected departure suggests the department’s initiative to find savings within its massive bureaucracy and apply them to modernization needs — one of Defense Secretary Jim Mattis’ top priorities — is “foundering,” one official told the paper. “All of Mattis’ modernization ambitions lie in the money that Shanahan and Gibson were going to harvest out of the institution in savings and efficiencies,” the official said. “Without it, Mattis is truly in trouble.”DOD photo by Tech Sgt. Vernon Young Jr. Dan Cohen AUTHOR
Xiaomi smartphone users are eagerly waiting for MIUI 11, but the Chinese smartphone company has better news for its fans. Ahead of the feature-packed MIUI 11 rollout to all eligible phones, Xiaomi released a list of 11 devices that will receive Google’s latest Android Q as early as this year.Android Q beta for non-Pixel smartphones included Mi MIX 3, Mi 9 and Redmi K20 Pro and these phones naturally made it to the list of phones eligible for Android Q. Xiaomi additionally revealed the names of other smartphones to receive stable Android Q during the fourth quarter of this year. They include Xiaomi Mi 8, Mi 8 Screen Fingerprint Edition, Mi 8 Explorer Edition, Mi Mix 2S, Redmi K20, and Mi 9 SE.But the list doesn’t end there. Xiaomi further added two popular Redmi phones, Redmi Note 7 and Redmi Note 7 Pro, to the list of Android Q eligible phones. But owners of Redmi Note 7 models will have to wait until Q1 2020 for the update rollout. Redmi Note 7 ProTwitter/Mi IndiaThe information about Android Q stable rollout to 11 Xiaomi phones was posted on the official MIUI Forum in China. It’s worth noting that the rollout schedule is applicable to the Chinese variants of the eligible phones. Even though there’s no official word on when Android Q for the enlisted phones will arrive in global and Indian markets, it is possible that the rollout will be staged a few weeks apart.Considering Xiaomi is still working on MIUI 11, which has been in development since January, the company is playing it safe by stressing that the Android Q schedule is only a rough estimate. There might be some changes in the schedule depending on any hurdles that might arise. Android Q coming to these Mi phonesGoogleXiaomi’s list for Android Q eligibility is brief, but more devices are likely to be added in the near future. For now, Xiaomi users have something equally exciting to look forward to – MIUI 11. The updated custom Android interface is expected to bring smoother, better UI, major design overhaul, system-wide dark mode, optimisation for foldable screens and much more.MIUI 11 will be available to a long list of phones in Xiaomi’s portfolio. You can check all about it in our earlier MIUI 11 post. Close IBTimes VideoRelated VideosMore videos Play VideoPauseMute0:02/0:25Loaded: 0%0:02Progress: 0%Stream TypeLIVE-0:23?Playback Rate1xChaptersChaptersDescriptionsdescriptions off, selectedSubtitlessubtitles settings, opens subtitles settings dialogsubtitles off, selectedAudio Trackdefault, selectedFullscreenThis is a modal window.Beginning of dialog window. Escape will cancel and close the window.TextColorWhiteBlackRedGreenBlueYellowMagentaCyanTransparencyOpaqueSemi-TransparentBackgroundColorBlackWhiteRedGreenBlueYellowMagentaCyanTransparencyOpaqueSemi-TransparentTransparentWindowColorBlackWhiteRedGreenBlueYellowMagentaCyanTransparencyTransparentSemi-TransparentOpaqueFont Size50%75%100%125%150%175%200%300%400%Text Edge StyleNoneRaisedDepressedUniformDropshadowFont FamilyProportional Sans-SerifMonospace Sans-SerifProportional SerifMonospace SerifCasualScriptSmall CapsReset restore all settings to the default valuesDoneClose Modal DialogEnd of dialog window. COPY LINKAD Loading … Is Redmi Note 7 the new-age Nokia 3310?
Baltimore, MD – On Wednesday, November 15th at 11am the Episcopal Diocesan Center (4 East University Parkway in Baltimore City), we will release new public opinion polling done by the independent research firm OpinionWorks showing strong public support for measures we will be proposing to improve prescription drug price affordability.“This year, Maryland made historic progress by enacting the nation’s first prescription drug price gouging bill which authorizes Attorney General Brian Frosh to prevent unconscionable price increases in generic and off-patent drugs,” said Vincent DeMarco, President of the Maryland Citizens’ Health Initiative, “As we turn our attention to making sure all expensive and life-saving drugs are affordable, including brand name and specialty drugs, we will focus our attention on consumers having the best information about costs and providing critically needed protection for them from excessive drug costs. The poll we are releasing shows overwhelming public support for reasonable measures to address prescription drug price affordability: banning the gag rules which now keeps consumers from getting the best price for some drugs, drug price transparency to help us understand the reason for high priced drugs, and a new commission to properly assess what Marylanders should be paying for now excessively priced and often unaffordable prescription drugs.” WHAT: Prescription Drug Affordability Initiative Polling ReleaseWHEN: Wednesday, November 15th, 11amWHERE: Episcopal Diocesan Center, 4 East University Parkway, Baltimore CityWHO: Vincent DeMarco, President, Maryland Citizens’ Health Initiative Steve Raabe, President, OpinionWorks Public Research The Health Care for All! Coalition is a broad-based coalition of over 1200 faith, labor, business and community groups that have been working to guarantee all Marylanders access to quality, affordable health care. To learn more, visit http://www.healthcareforall.com