ST JOHN’S, Antigua, (CMC):Legendary former pacer Sir Curtly Ambrose says tweaks need to be made to the controversial eligibility rule in order to have the best players available for West Indies duty.Sir Curtly, who currently serves as a West Indies team bowling consultant, said while he appreciated the objective of the rule, the overall focus should be on ensuring that the region always fielded its best XI.”I still believe that there are a few guys out there who I believe can play the ODIs and the Test cricket but there are criteria that you have to play the first-class cricket here in the region to be selected or eligible for Test cricket, and you have to also play the regional one-day tournament to play for the ODI [team],” Ambrose said.”I can understand that because you must have some structure, but I still believe that we should be looking to get our best team.”I am not saying guys should just walk into the team willy-nilly, but if there is a situation where guys are available and we are looking to get our best team, I still believe we should get them in.”Currently, the West Indies Cricket Board requires players to make themselves available for the Regional First Class Championship in order to qualify for the Test team. Similarly, players need to play the Regional Super50 if they are to be considered for selection for ODIs.However, many of the leading players like Chris Gayle, Kieron Pollard, Dwayne Bravo, AndrÈ Russell, Darren Sammy, and Sunil Narine all ply their trade in Twenty20 tournaments across the globe, often conflicting with the scheduling of Caribbean tournaments.For instance, the Australian Big Bash clashed with the Regional Super50 last January, and West Indies players opted for the T20 tournament.Weakened squadThis means that West Indies are likely to have a weakened squad for the upcoming Tri-Series in June involving South Africa and Australia.Sir Curtly, one of the finest fast bowlers the sport has seen, advocates for a better relationship between the players and administrators in order to address the many existing issues.”If you have a better relationship or a great relationship, I believe the cricket will get better because guys will go to play cricket feeling relaxed, knowing that their business off the field is being taken care of, so all they have to worry about is playing cricket,” the Antiguan said.”I honestly believe a better relationship between board and players will change our cricket and make it better.”
In this year’s Annual Address to the National Legislature, the Commander-In-Chief (C-I-C) of the Armed Forces of Liberia (AFL), President Ellen Johnson Sirleaf disclosed to the Nation government’s plan to nominate Liberians as Chief of Staff (COS) deputy COS, and Brigade Commander. That plan by the government came to pass on February 4, 2014; when C-I-C Sirleaf released the names of the three nominees, Colonel Daniel Dee Ziankahn, Jr. (now Brig/Gen), Colonel Eric Wamu Dennis for the AFL positions of COS and deputy COS and the Brigade Commander, Prince Charles Johnson, III respectively. Through that promotion, Johnson now becomes Lieutenant Colonel P.C. Johnson, III.The three soldiers are now at the helm of the AFL as the first Liberian officers in charge since the post-war era. General Suraj Alao Abdurrahman, the Nigerian Command Officer-In-Charge of the AFL, turned over the position to the current Commander-In-Chief on Armed Forces Day, February 11, at the Barclay Training Center (BTC) during a colorful ceremony. Prior to their nomination by the President to the Liberian Senate, the three officers had met all requirements necessary, including advanced and strategic training at various military institutions. Their deportment and discipline had been highly commended by the country’s international partners involved in restructuring of the AFL.The nominations were then made in keeping with Article 54, Section E, of the Liberian Constitution, which authorizes the President, who is also the C-I-C of the AFL, to nominate— with the consent of the Senate— appoint and commission members of the military from the rank of Lieutenant or equivalent and above.These Liberian soldiers that were promoted to those positions have amassed an impressive set of individual qualifications in addition to meeting the required benchmarks for the job.So, Who is the New Brigade Commander, Lt/Colonel Prince Charles Johnson, III ?Lt/Col. P.C. Johnson, III, is an infantry officer in the new AFL. He had previously served the AFL for eight years since enlistment into the force in September 2007. Col. Johnson was born on July 12, 1976, in Monrovia, Montserrado County. He was commissioned a 2nd Lieutenant upon the completion of the Officer Candidate School (OCS) in 2007.Since his commissioning ceremony, Col. Johnson held several positions within the AFL. Some of the positions included: Chief of Operations, Headquarters of the AFL; deputy Chief of Operations; Chief of Logistics; and Military Assistant (MA) to the Minister of National Defense, Brownie Jeffery Samukai, Jr. He was also Assistant Brigade Operations Officer (S3), 2nd Battalion Executive Officer; Company commander and a Platoon Commander.Academic AchievementsLt/Col. Johnson holds a post graduate certificate in public sector management from the Institute for Public Administration and Management (IPAM) in 2010 from the University of Sierra Leone, Freetown; a Bachelor of Business Administration (BBA) degree in Accounting from the United Methodist University (UMU)-2004 in Monrovia, Liberia. Since then, Col. Johnson has had the opportunity to attend several other military courses including the United States (US) Command and General Staff College (CGSC) in Fort Leavenworth, Kansa, USA-2011/12; the Infantry Mechanized Company Commander Course (MCCC) in Shijiazaugh Hebei Province, China-2010; the Junior Staff Course (JSC) Horton Military Academy, Freetown, Sierra Leone-2010; and the Infantry Young Officer Course at the Nigeria Army School of Infantry in Jaji Kaduna, Nigeria 2008. Additionally, Col. Johnson has attended several other seminars including the United States African Center for Strategic Studies Managing Security Resources in Africa Certificate, Washington DC, USA. This was held from November 3-10, 2012, and Senior Military Leadership Seminar Certificate also in Washington DC, USA held from June 16-29, 2012. He has received several awards, some of which include the First Place Award Junior Staff Course (JSC) IMATT, Freetown, Sierra Leone; Best International Student Award-YOC, Jaji Kaduna, Nigeria; Distinguished Graduate Award-OCS, Monrovia, Liberia; and the Best Leadership Award-Advance Individual Training (AIT, Monrovia-Liberia. Brigade Commander, Lt/Col. P.C. Johnson, III, is happily married to Catarina Fabiansson; a union that is now blessed with thier sons Charlie and Leo. Johnson’s hobbies include playing soccer, traveling, and eating exotic foods at foreign restaurants. Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
HALIFAX – The complainant in a sex assault case against a Halifax-based military policeman says she woke up confused in her hotel bed and felt the sensation of “skin to skin” as a man’s body pressed against her.The military officer, whose identity is protected by a court-ordered publication ban, said she repeatedly said no, but was ignored during an incident alleged to have taken place during a Canadian Navy exercise in Glasgow, Scotland during the early morning hours of Sept. 27, 2015.Sgt. Kevin MacIntyre, 48, entered a not guilty plea Monday to a charge of sexual assault at the beginning of a court martial proceeding in Halifax.MacIntyre, a member of the military since 2002, is being tried before a military judge and a five-man military panel composed of three officers and two non-commissioned officers.“This is a case about a sexual assault and about someone who was simply not willing to take no for an answer,” military prosecutor Navy Lt. Jennifer Besner told the panel.“The nature of sexual assault, the people that commit this offence, and the people that are victims of it may not always be what we expect,” said Besner. “The way a victim may react during an assault or afterwards may also challenge our assumptions.”Besner said the alleged assault against the complainant occurred after a long day of travel, a day of work, and an evening of socializing and drinking with other members of the Canadian Forces.“While she slept the accused entered her room, got into her bed and proceeded to sexually assault her, ignoring her refusals and her attempts to resist,” Besner said.She said the complainant “barely knew” the accused, having met him just shortly before the deployment.Under questioning by military prosecutor Maj. Larry Langlois, the complainant said she returned to her hotel room in an exhausted state following the night out. She said she hadn’t slept for about 36 hours after travelling from Canada and going straight to work in Glasgow on Sept. 26.She said she was helped back to her room by another female officer although she wasn’t impaired, and was inside the room when she turned around and saw MacIntyre standing by the doorway.The complainant said MacIntyre and the other woman left soon after she stripped down to her white top and underwear and crawled in bed. She said they returned shortly after she had woken up in a panic minutes later, wondering where she had left her passport, and she let them in.Once she found the passport, she said the female officer and MacIntyre sat on her bed and chatted a while before leaving her alone once more.The complainant said she fell asleep again, but was startled awake by a man in her bed. She said he was pressed against her from behind in a “spooning position” and although she couldn’t see him she knew it was MacIntyre because she recognized his voice.“It was him trying to touch my vagina with his hand, that’s what woke me up,” she said. “I don’t know how he got there naked.”She said she didn’t scream or yell but she told him “No,” as she was forced to continually remove his hand from her lower extremities “10 to 15 times.”“It happened to me and I think I just froze. I could have just yelled, there was a room beside me, but I didn’t even think about it.”The complainant said she eventually passed out after rolling from her side to her stomach but was soon awake again to a voice asking her “Do you like it?”She told the court she was penetrated during sex that lasted 15 to 20 minutes.“I felt so dirty,” she said. “I did not do anything … and I have to live with it.”The complainant said she eventually fell asleep again and MacIntyre was still in her bed when she woke up around 6:30 a.m. She said she asked him to leave and he did while she waited in the bathroom.The complainant said she discussed some details about the incident with her superior and others on the deployment, but didn’t want to make a formal complaint because she is married and she didn’t want her husband to find out before she could tell him what happened.The formal complaint was finally made about six months later on March 21, 2016, she said, after she suffered a panic attack while on a deployment in Jamaica.“This trip to Montego Bay was the best thing that could happen because it made me realize that I can’t live like that forever. It made me realize that I needed to do something about it.”The complainant is scheduled to be cross-examined by the defence when the hearing resumes Tuesday.
Advertisement Twitter Facebook’s Instagram service is loosening its restraints on video in an attempt to lure younger viewers away from YouTube when they’re looking for something to watch on their smartphones.The expansion announced Wednesday, dubbed IGTV, will increase Instagram’s video time limit from one minute to 10 minutes for most users. Accounts with large audiences will be able to go as long as an hour.Video will be available through Instagram or a new app called IGTV. The video will eventually give Facebook more opportunities to sell advertising.Competition for young users Advertisement It’s the latest instance in which Instagram has ripped a page from a rival’s playbook in an effort to preserve its status as a cool place for young people to share and view content. In this case, Instagram is mimicking Google’s YouTube. Before, Facebook and Instagram have copied Snapchat — another magnet for teens and young adults.Instagram, now nearly eight years old, is moving further from its roots as a photo-sharing service as it dives headlong into longer-form video.The initiative comes as parent company Facebook struggles to attract teens, while also dealing with a scandal that exposed its leaky controls for protecting users’ personal information.Instagram CEO Kevin Systrom told The Associated Press that he hopes IGTV will emerge as a hub of creativity for relative unknowns who turn into internet sensations with fervent followings among teens and young adults.That is what’s already happening on YouTube, which has become the world’s most popular video outlet since Google bought it for $1.76 billion US nearly 12 years ago. YouTube now boasts 1.8 billion users.Instagram, which Facebook bought for $1 billion six years ago, now has one billion users, up from 800 million nine months ago.More importantly, 72 per cent of U.S. kids ranging from 13 to 17 years old use Instagram, second to YouTube at 85 per cent, according to the Pew Research Center. Only 51 per cent of people in that group now use Facebook, down from 71 per cent from a similar Pew survey in 2014-15.That trend appears to be one of the reasons that Facebook is “hedging its bets” by opening Instagram to the longer-form videos typically found on YouTube, said analyst Paul Verna of the research firm eMarketer.Besides giving Instagram another potential drawing card, longer clips are more conducive for video ads lasting from 30 seconds to one minute. Instagram doesn’t currently allow video ads, but Systrom said it eventually will. When the ads come, Instagram intends to share revenue with the videos’ creators — just as YouTube already does.“We want to make sure they make a living because that is the only way it works in the long run,” Systrom said.Revenue growthThe ads also will help Facebook sustain its revenue growth. Total spending on online video ads in the U.S. is expected to rise from nearly $18 billion US this year to $27 billion in 2021, according to eMarketer.Lele Pons, a YouTube sensation who also has amassed 25 million followers on Instagram, plans to launch a new cooking show on IGTV in hopes of increasing her audience and eventually generating more revenue. “It’s like Coca-Cola and Pepsi,” she said. “You will never know what you like better unless you try both.”IGTV’s programming format will consist exclusively of vertical video designed to fill the entire screen of smartphones — the devices that are emerging as the main way younger people watch video. By contrast, most YouTube videos fill only a portion of the screen unless the phone is tilted horizontally.Snapchat began featuring vertical video before Instagram, another example of its penchant for copying rivals.But Systrom sees it differently. “This is acknowledging vertical video is the future and we want the future to come more quickly, so we built IGTV.” Advertisement Login/Register With: Facebook LEAVE A REPLY Cancel replyLog in to leave a comment
Login/Register With: Advertisement Advertisement MONTRÉAL (July 24, 2019) – Bell Media today announced it has entered into an agreement with the shareholders of Groupe V Média to acquire conventional network V along with related digital assets including the ad-supported VOD service Noovo.ca. The transaction reinforces choice for French-language viewers, strengthens the Québec television ecosystem, and highlights Bell Media’s commitment to providing engaging content in Québec on traditional and innovative platforms. The transaction is subject to regulatory approvals; financial details were not disclosed.“With today’s announcement Bell Media welcomes French-language conventional TV to its portfolio, creating more opportunities for viewers, advertisers, and content creators in Québec,” said Karine Moses, President, Bell Media Québec. “In a fast-changing ecosystem, we are excited to provide new opportunities for V with the guidance and expertise of our dedicated and experienced Montréal-based management, programming, and production teams. We look forward to continuing to work closely with the local Francophone production community in delivering highly engaging original programming on V. We salute Maxime Rémillard and his team for their work in bringing V to where it is now, and we thank them for trusting Bell Media to ensure the long-term legacy of the network.”“After 10 years of ensuring V’s success as an independent conventional channel, I am proud to have found in Bell Media a partner to ensure the continuity of this success,” said Maxime Rémillard, President and Founder, Groupe V Média. “The industry in which we are evolving is constantly, deeply and rapidly changing. This was true when we took over the reins of TQS and allowed the network to survive; it is all the more true today. As it is increasingly difficult to ensure the sustainability of a conventional channel within a non-integrated group, I have made the best decision for the future of V. Bell Media will certainly allow V to continue to evolve and reach out to the Québec public on a massive scale.” Advertisement LEAVE A REPLY Cancel replyLog in to leave a comment With popular original programs such as Occupation double, L’amour est dans le pré, and Un souper presque parfait, V Média owns and operates television stations in Montréal, Québec, Saguenay, Sherbrooke, and Trois-Rivières, and has affiliate stations in Gatineau, Rivière-du-Loup and Val-d’Or. In addition to V and Noovo.ca, Groupe V Média currently operates specialty channels ELLE Fictions and MAX, which are not subject to the transaction.About Groupe V MédiaGroupe V Media, a Québec-based entertainment and content delivery company, is the largest independent media group in Canada. Groupe V Media owns conventional television network V, specialty channels ELLE Fictions and MAX, content and video-on-demand platform Noovo.ca and the 25Stanley sports news website. Its innovative content delivery strategies with strong, unifying, eye-catching themes enable its properties to reach a vast audience, anytime, on a multitude of platforms, adapting to evolving consumer and corporate trends. Learn more at groupevmedia.ca.About Bell MédiaBell Média is a leading content creation company with premier assets in Québec in television, radio, digital media, out-of-home and more. Bell Média operates a number of French-language specialty and pay TV channels in Québec including Canal D, Canal Vie, Z, VRAK, Investigation, Super Écran, and Cinépop, and currently has four of the Top 5 most-watched shows on French Entertainment Specialty with key demos, including seven of the Top 10 original productions. Bell Média also operates RDS (Québec’s #1 sports channel), CTV Montreal (the #1 English news outlet in Québec), and more than 40 websites and digital properties, including RDS Direct. Bell Media is Québec’s leading radio broadcaster, with 25 stations in 14 communities, all part of the iHeartRadio Canada brand and streaming service. Bell Média owns Montréal-based Astral, an out-of-home advertising network of 50,000 faces in five provinces. Bell Média is part of BCE Inc. (TSX, NYSE: BCE), Canada’s largest communications company. Learn more at BellMedia.ca. Facebook Twitter