Seventeen people were killed in Region Six (East Berbice-Corentyne) in 2019, the same as was recorded for the previous year.Dead: Dominic Tyler SulkerOf the 17, seven were pedestrians including two children, six motorcyclists, two drivers, one occupant of a motor vehicle and one pedal cyclist being a child.In addition, the traffic department recorded 39 serious accidents for 2019 when compared to 41 in the previous year. There were also 52 damage accidents compared to 65 in 2018.Dead: Kevin SinclairIn all, there was a total of 178 accidents compared to 197 the previous year.“We have noticed that over the weekend period is our trouble period and from Friday evenings into Monday mornings. So, it is the entire weekend and then on holidays,” Commander Brutus revealed.He further stated that most of the accidents occurred between 18:00h and midnight.Dead: Gurdatt Hemraj“In terms of the factors for the causes of accidents, speeding tops the list, driving under the influence (DUI). Sometimes you have speeding and DUI – they go hand in hand. Inattentiveness by the use of the cell phone while driving is also one of the factors which lead to accidents,” the Commander said while noting that the failure to observe the rules of the road is also a factor.Hazards on the road such as derelict vehicles, vehicles parked dangerously and other objects left on the road shoulders that should not be there have contributed to most of the road accidents.One of the accident scenes of 2019“When we look at the offices that we target to curb fatal accidents, in general, is speeding.”However, 1923 cases were made out against errant drivers. Forty-nine cases were for driving under the influence; 17 persons were charged for dangerous driving, 323 for failing to wear seat belts and 58 for failing to wear safety helmets. In all, a total of 5861 are before the court for general traffic offences.“As road users, we need to pay attention to the rules of the road. There are published speed limits on the road and this is based on engineers that had the speed limits fixed to that rate because of the general circumstances surrounding the conditions of the road, the housing and the communities around and the width of the road. All those factors are used to determine the speed limit of a certain area,” the Commander added.He also stated that drivers also need to consider other road users.“You should always anticipate that the other person will make the mistake, [hone] your driving to prevent an accident rather than going fast unnecessarily. You also need to cater for animals on our roads. Of course, from time to time we will have the stray catchers impounding the animals but then they are still instances where animals are on the road.”He noted that in Region Six and more particularly on the Corentyne, drivers need to consider rice harvesting and the wetness on the roadway in most instances.Nevertheless, he added that every life that is lost on the roadway is one too many.
He was hospitalized in stable condition. The shooting is not gang-related, said Detective Michelle Esquivel of the Los Angeles Police Department’s Harbor Division. “There’s probably a reason for it,” Esquivel said. “The kids who were there had nothing to do with gangs.” Esquivel said she has identified a suspect in the case, but no arrests have been made. Jaquez was a solid regular player for a young Banning team that went 15-17 last year. A first-team All-Marine League pick, he batted .333 with four homers, 31 RBIs and a .593 slugging percentage for the Pilots. He enrolled at Harbor College in the fall and was expected to make the team as a first baseman for the Seahawks. Head coach Marco Alvillar said the shooting may result in Jaquez missing the entire season. “I’m not too familiar with the recovery time of a person who was shot three times,” Alvillar said. “But I imagine he’ll miss the season.” email@example.com Staff writer Tony Ciniglio contributed to this report. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! WILMINGTON: The baseball player was attacked while handing out candy to trick-or-treaters on Halloween. By Paul Clinton Staff Writer Former Banning High School baseball standout Anthony Jaquez is recovering from wounds sustained during a Halloween night shooting while he handed out candy to children. AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREGame Center: Chargers at Kansas City Chiefs, Sunday, 10 a.m.Jaquez, 18, was shot three times as he stood in the front yard of a friend’s house Wednesday evening. Police said a car pulled up to the house and someone opened fire on Jaquez. No one else was hit. “He probably didn’t know the guy,” said uncle Mondo Ponce, an assistant coach at Banning High, where Jaquez played last year as a first baseman on the varsity squad. The shooting occurred at about 9:15 p.m. in the 1500 block of Marine Avenue at Q Street, west of Wilmington Cemetery. Jaquez was handing out candy to local trick-or-treaters, when the shooting occurred, police said.