Vermont DPS promotes Hofmann, Porter to key positions

first_imgThe Vermont Department of Public Service announced Thursday the appointment of Sarah Hofmann as Deputy Commissioner and James Porter as the Director of Telecommunications.  The Department serves as the ratepayer advocate for utility matters in energy, telecommunications and water, and also is the lead for the state’s energy policy.‘I am very pleased to have Sarah and Jim as part of the department’s leadership team,’ said Elizabeth Miller, Commissioner of the Department.  ‘This is an exciting time as we continue to work diligently on the state’s energy plan, and to complete the state’s broadband build out,’ Miller said.   Hofmann is a graduate of Rollins College and the University of New Hampshire School of Law.  Most recently she served as the Director for Public Advocacy for the department.  Her shift to the Deputy role will require the Department to hire another dynamic and committed individual as the Director of Public Advocacy, leading the Department’s legal staff and consumer affairs specialists.Porter is a graduate of Birmingham-Southern College and Birmingham School of Law.  Most recently he served as a staff attorney for the department and has worked hard on many key telecommunication issues, most notably the FairPoint acquisition.  The Department will require a new staff attorney to assume Mr. Porter’s prior role.The Department also recently announced the retirement of Dave Lamont, long-time valuable member of the Department’s planning staff, most recently as Director of Planning and Energy Resources.  The Department has realigned Lamont’s position and is actively seeking an individual for the Director of Energy Policy and Planning.Position descriptions will be available on line through Vermont’s Human Resources Department at http://humanresources.vermont.gov/(link is external) Source: DPS. 3.10.2011last_img read more

Spain defends pandemic response as case numbers overtake Britain

first_imgSpain’s government defended its response to the coronavirus pandemic on Monday after official data showed the country had overtaken Britain to register the highest total number of cases in Western Europe.”Appropriate measures are being taken to control the pandemic in coordination” with the regions, the government said in a statement, after experts questioned its policies. “The data shows that we are being very active in tracking and detecting the virus.”Health ministry data showed 1,486 new cases were diagnosed in the past day, bringing the cumulative total to 322,980, compared with 311,641 in Britain. In a letter published in the journal the Lancet last week, a group of Spanish health experts called for an independent evaluation of the government’s handling of the crisis and highlighted a litany of flaws.One signatory, Ildefonso Hernandez Aguado, a public health professor at Alicante’s Miguel Hernandez University, said a lack of qualified tracing staff was allowing the disease to spread unseen.”Some regions have not understood that this was the key in the months after the lockdown and in the long term,” he said, stressing that authorities should begin hiring and training new personnel as soon as possible.He also pointed the finger at Spain’s highly social culture: “This is a country that doesn’t understand holding a celebration, or taking a holiday if you’re not going to share them”.  The disease claimed 65 lives in Spain over the past seven days. More than 28,000 people have died from the disease in Spain, while more than 46,000 have died in Britain.The government also said it had tested nearly 7.5 million people since the start of the pandemic, with over 400,000 tested in the past week alone.In the first half of April, Spain was second only to the United States in total cases before reining in its soaring infection rate through a strict nationwide lockdown.However, the virus has rebounded sharply since the state of emergency was lifted six weeks ago, with average daily infections surging from 132 in June to nearly 1,500 in the first 10 days of August.center_img Topics :last_img read more

Ravens QB Lamar Jackson clears concussion protocol, returns to game

first_img A.J. Green injury update: Bengals WR will undergo season-ending surgery, report says QB Lamar Jackson is in concussion protocol.— Baltimore Ravens (@Ravens) December 2, 2018Jackson, however, returned later in the period. He finished the game 12-of-21 passing for 125 yards with a rushing touchdown. Jackson also lost a fumble.Robert Griffin III replaced Jackson, seeing his first NFL action during the regular season in nearly two years. He completed two of his four passes for 21 yards.  Related News Baltimore was briefly down to its third-string quarterback.Ravens rookie Lamar Jackson was placed in concussion protocol after suffering a head injury in the third quarter of Sunday’s game against the Falcons.center_img The Ravens came away with a 26-16 win over the Falcons.last_img read more