The Centre on Monday held another round of talks with the NSCN-IM, the major insurgency group in Nagaland, aiming to hammer out differences, particularly on the outfit’s demand for a separate flag and Constitution for the Nagas, and inch closer to a solution to the seven decades old problem, officials said.A team of the NSCN-IM, led by its general secretary Thuingaleng Muivah, and Centre’s interlocutor and Nagaland Governor R N Ravi discussed here the possible ways to find an “honourable” solution by resolving the sticky issue of a separate flag and Constitution for the Nagas.As talks were progressing with the NSCN-IM, a grouping of seven Naga outfits which is pushing for an early solution to the Naga issue has urged elected representatives to avoid a “neutral stand” and make clear their position.The issue of a separate flag and Constitution for the Nagas has become the main bone of contention between the two sides with the NSCN-IM strongly pressing for it.“The dialogue, which lasted for more than four hours, remained inconclusive and both sides agreed to meet again soon. However, a final agreement between the NSCN-IM and the government is unlikely to take place by October 31,” an official privy to the development said.Mr. Ravi, in a statement, had said last week that a mutually agreed draft comprehensive settlement, including all the substantive issues and competencies, is ready for signing the final agreement.“Unfortunately at this auspicious juncture, the NSCN-IM has adopted a procrastinating attitude to delay the settlement raising the contentious symbolic issues of separate Naga national flag and Constitution on which they are fully aware of the government of India’s position,” he had said.Mr. Ravi’s statement bears significance in view of the central government’s August 5 announcement abrogating the special status given to Jammu and Kashmir under Article 370. With the annulment of the special status, the separate flag and the Constitution of Jammu and Kashmir cease to exist.The interlocutor said the NSCN-IM has “mischievously” dragged in the framework agreement and began imputing imaginary contents to it.The framework agreement was signed on August 3, 2015 by NSCN-IM’s Muivah and interlocutor Mr. Ravi in presence of Prime Minister Narendra Modi.The framework agreement came after over 80 rounds of negotiations spanning 18 years, with the first breakthrough in 1997 when the ceasefire agreement was sealed after decades of insurgency in Nagaland which started soon after India’s independence in 1947.The central government has already rejected the NSCN-IM’s demand for unification of Naga inhabited areas — located in Manipur, Arunachal Pradesh and Assam. The three Northeastern states also vehemently opposed it.Noting that the the Centre was keen on finding a solution, the grouping of seven organisations called Naga National Political Groups (NNPG) made the appeal to the elected representatives in a statement released by its media cell on Sunday night. The NNPG has been holding separate talks with the Centre since 2017.In the statement, the NNPG asserted that the elected representatives of Nagaland should not be maintaining a neutral stand on the matter, now that the government was keen on finding a solution.“Unresolved matters should be decided through political and democratic process…. The position and status of elected representatives of Nagaland cannot remain lukewarm. They cannot choose to hide behind the boulders blocking the way,” it said.The Centre had set a deadline for conclusion of peace talks in the wake of the Naga society’s demand for an early solution to the six-decade-old issue, the statement said.“It is time for political parties in Nagaland to clear their stand in the interest of the Naga people…. If the political parties of Nagaland fail in their constitutional duties and obligations, they should resign and allow the Election Commission of India to derecognise the parties,” the NNPG said.The interlocutor, Mr. Ravi is expected to hold dialogue with the NNPG in the coming days too.
Trending Articles PLAY LIST 00:50Trending Articles00:50Trending Articles01:02Fajardo predicts there will be no sweep in PBA Finals01:29Police teams find crossbows, bows in HK university01:35Panelo suggests discounted SEA Games tickets for students02:49Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City Brace for potentially devastating typhoon approaching PH – NDRRMC 2 ‘newbie’ drug pushers fall in Lucena sting John Lloyd Cruz a dashing guest at Vhong Navarro’s wedding WADA probes possible flaw in test bottles Read Next LATEST STORIES PBA IMAGESWith Ginebra’s Jervy Cruz and Raymond Aguilar stepping up, June Mar Fajardo admitted that the unheralded bruisers’ performance against San Miguel on Sunday was further proof of how strong the Gin Kings are.“We know how good they are. They’re a championship-contender team and they made good adjustments in the second half,” Fajardo said in Filipino.ADVERTISEMENT Slow and steady hope for near-extinct Bangladesh tortoises NEXT BLOCK ASIA 2.0 introduces GURUS AWARDS to recognize and reward industry influencers Globe Business launches leading cloud-enabled and hardware-agnostic conferencing platform in PH Kammuri turning to super typhoon less likely but possible — Pagasa Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Typhoon Kammuri accelerates, gains strength en route to PH Sans lead big man Greg Slaughter, Cruz and Aguilar combined for 33 points and nine rebounds in the Gin Kings’ 100-96 victory over the Beermen.Fajardo tried his best to keep San Miguel afloat but failed to rescue the Beermen despite his mammoth stat line of 33 points, 11 rebounds, four assists, and four steals.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSWATCH: Drones light up sky in final leg of SEA Games torch runSPORTSLillard, Anthony lead Blazers over ThunderSPORTSMalditas save PH from shutoutBut rather than feel down with the loss, the reigning four-time PBA MVP sees the first defeat of the 2018 PBA Philippine Cup as a reality check of sorts.“It happens. We can’t win all of our games. So we have to move on and learn from our lapses,” he said as he rued the Beermen’s 18 turnovers in the matchup. San Miguel still sits atop the standings at 5-1, but the Cebuano giant knows that his squad can’t be complacent as it seeks to bounce back on Sunday against red-hot Magnolia.”It’s a good thing that it happened to us midway through the conference, so we still have time to adjust. But we need to move on and win our remaining games,” he said. MOST READ View comments
Miguel Romero Polo: Bamboo technology like no other Wintry storm delivers US travel woes before Thanksgiving Wade couldn’t wait to open the gift the Spurs gave him, which included signed jerseys from Duncan, Parker and Ginobili.“Legends,” Wade said. “Hall of Famer jerseys in those boxes with the Big Three here in San Antonio. Guys I have so much respect for with Duncan, Ginobili and Parker. I appreciate those jerseys.”Wade also exchanged jerseys with DeRozan at halfcourt following the game. The crowd serenaded him with “D-Wade” chants as he did a postgame interview and as he walked into the locker room.“It’s an honor,” DeRozan said of Wade’s gift. “It was an honor being able to play against him for 10 years of my career, especially me being in the East all those years.”TIP-INSHeat: Miami’s previous win at San Antonio was March 31, 2013, when Chris Bosh scored 23 points, including the game-winning 3-pointer, to stun the Spurs 88-86 as Wade and LeBron James sat out for rest. … Miami is 17-16 on the road after finishing 18-23 last season. … Justise Winslow missed the game with a bruised right thigh.Spurs: Mills played in his 521st game with the Spurs to move past Danny Green into the top 10 in franchise history for games played. Bruce Bowen is ninth with 630 games played for San Antonio. … Marco Belinelli became the 11th player in NBA history with 400 3-pointers off the bench.UP NEXTHeat: At the Milwaukee Bucks on Friday night.Spurs: At the Houston Rockets on Friday night. Bloomberg: US would benefit from more, not fewer, immigrants Wade, who is retiring after 16 seasons, has been honored in his final game at visiting arenas. This one was special, though, given his history against the Spurs, coach Gregg Popovich and their vaunted Big Three of Tim Duncan, Tony Parker and Manu Ginobili.Wade was key to the battles between Miami and San Antonio in the 2013 and 2014 NBA Finals. The Heat rallied from a six-point deficit in the final 20.3 seconds to force overtime and win Game 6 on their way to capturing the 2013 championship. San Antonio won the title the following season against Miami to avenge that defeat.The Spurs honored Wade before the game with a 1½-minute video, including their tussles in the NBA Finals. After the video played, Popovich presented Wade with a gift box that included signed jerseys from Duncan, Parker and Ginobili.“That’s dope,” Wade said. “I didn’t know it was going to be before the game. I like the music swag they had on it and the videos they put up. It was really cool. I’m so thankful and I’m so appreciative. I don’t expect those things to happen to me at all. I just came out and did my job every night and I’m thankful for the relationships that I have. I have a great one with Coach (Popovich) and I just appreciate what they did.”San Antonio also gifted Miami the first half, falling behind by as many as 17 points.ADVERTISEMENT Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. SEA Games hosting troubles anger Duterte MOST READ LATEST STORIES James Harden’s 57 points not enough as Grizzlies overcome Rockets Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next Colombia protesters vow new strike after talks hit snag Miami Heat guard Dwyane Wade, right, and San Antonio Spurs guard DeMar DeRozan pose for photographers after exchanging jerseys following an NBA basketball game Wednesday, March 20, 2019, in San Antonio. Miami won 110-105. (AP Photo/Darren Abate)SAN ANTONIO — Dwyane Wade was upset, ecstatic, tenacious and gracious in his final battle with the San Antonio Spurs.It was the perfect ending to Wade’s fiery showdowns with San Antonio, albeit an unusual one with the fans serenading him with cheers as he walked off the AT&T Center court after one final win over the Spurs.ADVERTISEMENT The Spurs rallied from a 12-point deficit entering the fourth quarter to pull to 108-105 on Rudy Gay’s floater with 1:07 remaining, but a turnover by DeMar DeRozan and a pair of free throws by Kelly Olynk sealed the victory.“We had a shot in the fourth quarter, but for three quarters they whipped us physically and discipline-wise,” Popovich said. “They deserve the win for that reason.”The Spurs had six players in double figures, but only two starters. LaMarcus Aldridge scored 17 points and DeRozan added 16. Patty Mills and Marco Belinelli added 17 apiece.San Antonio held opponents to 101.3 points per game during its winning streak but Miami reached 100 with 9 minutes remaining.DeRozan was given a technical foul after screaming at an official for not calling a foul when he was stripped by James Johnson on the baseline with the Spurs trailing 103-98 with 4:12 to play.Wade picked up a technical 2 minutes later after berating an official for a non-call on his missed fadeaway over Mills. Aldridge’s free throw pared Miami’s lead to 106-103.Wade responded by banking in an off-balance, fadeaway, left-handed runner.“A shot I’ve never seen him practice or ever attempt,” Miami coach Erik Spoelstra said, still in disbelief, “I guess sometimes that’s what great players can do, just manufacture something out of absolutely nothing. He was bottled up, Aldridge just had him jammed and that just gave us the breathing room at the end.”Wade finished with 11 points, including a running 3-pointer from halfcourt that brought the crowd to its feet in celebration of one of the Spurs’ fiercest competitors.HALL OF FAME SWAG Private companies step in to help SEA Games hosting Trending Articles PLAY LIST 00:50Trending Articles00:50Trending Articles01:04Trump attends World Series baseball game in Washington DC02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City01:07Trump talks impeachment while meeting NCAA athletes02:49World-class track facilities installed at NCC for SEA Games02:11Trump awards medals to Jon Voight, Alison Krauss View comments Google Philippines names new country director Trump tells impeachment jokes at annual turkey pardon event Goran Dragic had 22 points and the Miami Heat snapped the Spurs’ nine-game winning streak with a 110-105 victory Wednesday night, sending Wade home a winner in what was likely his final game in San Antonio.“We’re playing as good as a group together as we’ve played since I got back here,” Wade said. “It’s fun playing basketball with these guys this way.”FEATURED STORIESSPORTSPrivate companies step in to help SEA Games hostingSPORTSPalace wants Cayetano’s PHISGOC Foundation probed over corruption chargesSPORTSSingapore latest to raise issue on SEA Games food, logisticsDion Waiters added 18 points and Josh Richardson had 15 for Miami, which won its third straight game to remain eighth in the Eastern Conference.San Antonio saw its 11-game home winning streak come to an end but remained fifth in the West. It was the Spurs’ first loss since Feb. 25 in Brooklyn as part of their 1-7 Rodeo Road Trip.
Datia (MP), May 18 (PTI) Cyber Crime Branch of Bhopal police today arrested a 35-year-old sports teacher here for allegedly sending obscene messages to a girl.Aditya Babele, who works with a private school, prepared a fake Facebook profile, and sent obscene messages to a Bhopal-based girl from that profile, Civil Lines police station in-charge Ajay Bhargava said.The girl had lodged a complaint with the Cyber Crime Branch which arrested Babele today.”Further investigation is underway,” Bhargava added. PTI Cor ADU MAS KRK
REGINA — Saskatchewan Premier Scott Moe says he’s never met with anyone protesting outside the legislature and didn’t see a need to make an exception when Indigenous protesters set up a camp this past fall.Moe said cabinet members were more than capable of working through some of the protesters’ concerns.“I don’t know if it would have resolved it in a quicker fashion or not. The fact of the matter is … those individuals were engaged with on multiple occasions with multiple members of the cabinet,” he said in a year-end interview with The Canadian Press.“I haven’t, in fairness, really conversed with anyone directly that is running a protest or a camp in front of the legislature.”The Justice For Our Stolen Children camp sprung up in late February — shortly after the cases of Colten Boushie and Tina Fontaine resulted in acquittals.Boushie, a 22-year-old Cree man, died from a shot to the head on a farm near Biggar, Sask., in August 2016. The landowner, Gerald Stanley, was acquitted of second-degree murder after testifying that his gun went off accidentally.Fontaine was 15 years old when she disappeared in Winnipeg in 2014. Her body, wrapped in a duvet cover and weighed down by rocks, was pulled from the Red River eight days later. A jury found Raymond Cormier not guilty of second-degree murder.The camp’s members were protesting what they said was racial injustice and the disproportionate number of Indigenous children in care.Spokeswoman Robyn Pitawanakwat said a visit from Moe may have led to a solution.“I think that him showing up to have the conversation would have indicated that he was invested in some sort of outcome that would have benefited Indigenous families in Saskatchewan,” she said.Cabinet ministers who came to the camp didn’t listen to requests, Pitawanakwat said.The camp, which was ordered to be dismantled by a judge in September, helped reunited 12 families with children in care, she said.“We were able to help individual families but the system is still working against Indigenous youth.”The government is working with 17 First Nations on child-and-family- service agreements but more effort is needed, Moe said.Since the Boushie trial, Moe’s government has proposed updated trespassing laws which would require people to get permission before going on private land.The Federation of Sovereign Indigenous Nations has said the proposals were drafted without any Indigenous consultation and warns that the planned legislation could lead to more clashes. Moe said everyone in the province was consulted through an online survey and he continues to talk to First Nations leaders across the province.— Follow @RyanBMcKenna on TwitterRyan McKenna, The Canadian Press