A Liberian journalist, Mr. Max Willie, has launched a book documenting the stories of former President Charles Taylor’s armed insurrection, his presidency and departure from Liberia to Nigeria.The book titled, “Where Charles Taylor Went Wrong,” is a summary of the administration of Mr. Taylor’s governance style both home and internationally.Launching the book on behalf of Mr. Willie was the executive director of Center for Media Studies and Peace Building (CEMESP), Malcolm Joseph. Mr. Joseph disclosed that the pieces of information contained in the book, are an insider’s account of Mr. Taylor’s overgenerous approach to governance and his twisted perception on international relations.Highlighting the books capacity to spark debate, Mr. Joseph said, “This book allows readers from the current generation to promptly delve into the details of actions initiated by well-known members of the international community determined to drag Taylor to court in The Hague. These forces placed emphasis on what they called Taylor’s ‘war crimes committed in Sierra Leone,’ while turning a blind-eye to the more serious offenses he orchestrated in Liberia.”According to him, this piece of literature is a first-hand account of Taylor’s missteps in Liberia and Sierra Leone that speaks on the issues and events culminating in the downfall of a man who transfigured Liberia.“The ex-president’s foreign policy toward not only the United States and other western countries, but to neighbouring African countries was the basis for his international isolation, the lack of donor support to his government and his eventual demise,” the author asserted.Also commenting on the launched book, journalist Aaron Kollie encouraged Liberia’s educational system to take interest in said resource material in order to add another voice to the ever-changing story of Liberia.He also called on the committee responsible to rewrite Liberia’s history to consider this piece as an important tool to help generate more necessary information to foster their work.Max Willie is a former Voice of America (VOA) correspondent, former deputy director general of Liberia Broadcasting System (LBS) and was in the employ of the Search for Common Ground-Talking Drum Studio Liberia public information manager.Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
Prime Minister Moses Nagamootoo on Tuesday announced that former Minister of State, Joseph Harmon has been appointed Director General of the Ministry of the Presidency.Director General of the Ministry of the Presidency, Joseph HarmonThe announcement was made during the Prime Minister’s address at the National Communications Network (NCN) Linden Complex at the Government outreach to the mining town.Minister Harmon, a dual citizen, resigned as a minister and Member of Parliament (MP) effective April 25. He was replaced as an MP by Mervyn Williams. Vice President and former Minister of Foreign Affairs, Carl Greenidge; former Minister of Business, Dominic Gaskin and former Minister of Public Service, Dr Rupert Roopnaraine also resigned as a result of being deemed dual citizens by Chief Justice (ag) Roxane George in a court ruling.Gaskin and Dr Roopnaraine were replaced by Haimraj Rajkumar and Tabitha Saraboo-Halley respectively.Prime Minister Nagamootoo was delivering the feature address at the hand-over ceremony of the NCN Linden assets to the Linden Broadcasting Network (LBN).Director General Harmon attended the Cabinet meeting earlier in the day at the invitation of President David Granger where his new portfolio was formally announced to Cabinet.
“I’m with Luis (Suarez), I like the best players to play, I train with the best and I want the best players to play,” said Muslera.Doubts persist over Salah’s fitness but the Egyptian star said from the team’s base in Grozny on Monday that he was “well-prepared” for the tournament.On May 30, Egypt officials said Salah would be out for “not more” than three weeks, which would rule him out of the Uruguay match but put him in the frame for Russia on June 19 and Saudi Arabia on June 25.Back in Nizhny Novgorod, Uruguay’s training session, overseen by veteran coach Oscar Tabarez, was their first since arriving in Russia 24 hours before.Following an exhausting 16-hour flight, the team faces another four hours on a plane for the game against Egypt, which will be played in Ekaterinburg.Muslera, who plays for Turkish club Galatasaray, shrugged off travel fatigue being a problem, saying Uruguay had five days to prepare for the game.Defender Jose Maria Gimenez said the Egypt game was the “most important” as it would set the tone for the rest of the tournament.Uruguay are the favourites in Group A, which also includes hosts Russia and Saudi Arabia, who kick off the World Cup on June 14.Russian schoolchildren were allowed into the training session, and unsurprisingly shouted out for Uruguay’s two biggest stars — Barcelona’s Suarez and Paris Saint-Germain’s Edinson Cavani.0Shares0000(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today) 0Shares0000Uruguay’s most influential player Luis Suarez trains ahead of their World Cup opener against Egypt © AFP / MARTIN BERNETTINIZHINIY NOVGOROD, Russian Federation, Jun 11 – Uruguay goalkeeper Fernando Muslera said Monday that he hopes Egyptian star Mohamed Salah will be fit to play when the two countries clash in their opening World Cup match on Friday.Following an hour-long training session for the Celeste at their humble Bor training camp just outside the city of Nizhny Novgorod, Muslera said he wants Salah to fully recover from the shoulder injury sustained in the recent Champions League final.