Ba ready to fight for Chelsea place

first_imgStriker Demba Ba has vowed to fight for his Chelsea place, whether Wayne Rooney joins or not. “I will stay,” Ba said. “I think we need competition and we welcome the best players in this club. “More competition is going to make me better anyway. All players want to play, not only centre forwards. “We will all work in the same direction, for the club, to try and win the games.” Ba scored in the final match of the Asia tour, an 8-1 victory over the BNI Indonesia All-Stars in Jakarta. Competition for places will resume – without Rooney – next week when the squad reconvene at their Surrey training base ahead of four matches in the United States, beginning against Mourinho’s former club Inter Milan next Thursday. Torres and five other players involved in the Confederations Cup – Juan Mata, Cesar Azpilicueta, David Luiz, Oscar and John Obi Mikel – will join up with the squad after missing the three-match tour to Bangkok, Kuala Lumpur and Jakarta. Mourinho declared the tour of Asia a success after rapturous receptions in each location, including on the Blues’ first trip to Indonesia. The Portuguese suggested that 10 years ago, prior to Roman Abramovich’s revolution of Chelsea, the club’s reach would not have been so great. “It is fantastic for us to see how big this club is becoming,” Mourinho said. “Our winning history is recent. In this club we have had a fantastic evolution and our success has come recently in football terms.” Press Associationcenter_img Ba signed from Newcastle in January to support Fernando Torres, but with Romelu Lukaku back from his loan at West Brom and Chelsea’s pursuit of Manchester United striker Rooney ongoing, there has been speculation that his time at Stamford Bridge could soon end. Jose Mourinho has insisted none of his players will be sold, but Ba would fall down the pecking order if Chelsea can successfully recruit Rooney, for whom they had a bid turned down last week. last_img read more

Syracuse loses 2nd consecutive game in straight sets to No. 11 Marquette

first_img Facebook Twitter Google+ Published on September 7, 2019 at 5:11 pm Contact Alex: athamer@syr.edu | @alexhamer8 For the second time in three days, Syracuse lost in straight sets, this time against No. 11 Marquette.Service errors and blocking misuses prevented the Orange from building early momentum, dropping the first set 25-12. Sophomore Elena Karakasi started at setter, just as she did against Baylor on Thursday, and finished with seven assists.The second set was a much tighter contest, despite Syracuse’s continuing struggles against Marquette’s hitters, leaving SU trailing 14-7 midway through the set. Looking for a spark from his bench, head coach Leonid Yelin inserted freshman setter Lauren Woodford into the match in place of Karakasi. Woodford’s consecutive aces helped ignite a Syracuse comeback, but Marquette’s dominance up front was too much for the Orange as they lost the set 25-23.Syracuse’s improved play continued into the third set, and it drew even at 16-16 after several Marquette attacking errors. After a Syracuse timeout, Marquette pulled away, as the Orange dropped the set 25-18. 2018 ACC freshman of the year Polina Shemanova led SU with 11 kills.Syracuse will look to get its first victory of the season on Friday against Morehead State as it begins a three-game stretch in the Kansas Tournament.AdvertisementThis is placeholder text Commentslast_img read more