Military told to be alert to activities of LTTE supporters

“Modern day threats are also complex. Production of a biological weapon at a small laboratory could be done faster than making a weapon. We got to think big and be prepared for any eventuality through our own tailor-made initiatives. We can have our own preventive and deterrent solutions without going only by theoretical aspects alone. Therefore, education is the most important experience that an officer could get,” he said at a seminar on approaches to countering terrorism in modern environments.The seminar was designed to broaden the horizons of military knowledge in terrorism and its impacts among top level and middle grade officers of the army, navy, air force and the police. (Colombo Gazette) He warned that the army needs to be alert to the sensitivities connected to the possible re-assembling or resurgence of LTTE supporters and overseas activists who would still be promoting the ideological perception of the rebels while working against Sri Lanka’s economic and development aspirations. The military has been told to be on alert to the activities of LTTE supporters, the army media unit said.Major General Milinda Peiris, Chief of Staff of the Sri Lanka army briefed the military on emerging terrorist trends at global level and the need for modernized approaches with novel counter-measures. “We need to be knowledgeable to face any future challenges considering transnational effects of terrorism. We are living in fast changing environments which are highly complex. Unlike those days, an arrest of a suspect too would end up as a violation of fundamental rights and you would have to end up in courts,” the army media unit quoted Major General Milinda Peiris as telling the military and the police. read more

Nova Scotia to seek new round of bids for former wind tower

TRENTON, N.S. – The Nova Scotia government has rejected three bids to operate a former wind tower manufacturing plant in Pictou County, including two bids of only $1, says the province’s business minister.Mark Furey said Tuesday that as a result there would be a new round of bids for the former DSME Trenton plant, which closed in February after taxpayers had sunk $56.3 million into the facility.Furey said the move comes after receiver PricewaterhouseCoopers recommended the rejection of all the bids received under the court-approved sale process after each failed to meet qualification requirements, including the payment of a $100,000 deposit with their expression of interest.“In two instances there were bids of $1, these were the operational bids,” said Furey. “The third operational bid included a $3 million offer, but no substantive content to the business plan.”Along with the operational bids, the receivers also rejected four bids to buy the plant’s equipment.Furey said the receiver would now consider other kinds of proposals, including lease-to-own arrangements. He said that option wasn’t part of the first round’s criteria, and so the process had to be formally closed in order to launch the new bidding.Despite the tepid reception from the private sector, Furey said the government has no plans at this point to liquefy the facility’s assets.“It has been our objective from the outset to exhaust all avenues and options for the continued operation of this facility,” he said.Operations at the manufacturing facility ceased less than a month after the province said it wouldn’t put any more public money into a plant that had hoped to develop the capacity to produce 250 wind turbine towers and 200 blade sets per year.At the time, the company said it was trying to secure orders in heavy steel fabrication in the wind, oil and gas and rail sectors.The previous NDP government announced in 2010 it had taken a 49 per cent equity stake in the firm, committed up to $59.4 million to the manufacturing plant and predicted 500 jobs would be created within three years.Last week, Premier Stephen McNeil defended sticking with the operation despite the fact it never made money or came close to its job projections.“There were commitments that were being made that potentially we would see some positive stuff come out of that plant and obviously that didn’t happen,” McNeil said.When the closure was announced, DSME told the province that it couldn’t start payment on $36 million in repayable loans, which was scheduled to begin in early 2018.“We don’t know that there is any opportunity to recover any of those losses,” Furey said Tuesday.He said there was enough money from the remaining funds to keep the plant in operational shape until next June.The province is the primary secured creditor for the plant.By Keith Doucette in Halifax by The Canadian Press Posted Nov 29, 2016 9:14 am MDT Last Updated Nov 29, 2016 at 12:55 pm MDT AddThis Sharing ButtonsShare to TwitterTwitterShare to FacebookFacebookShare to RedditRedditShare to 電子郵件Email Nova Scotia to seek new round of bids for former wind tower plant read more