Jake says relationship with Shaina ‘goes beyond physical attraction’ Jake says relationship with Shaina ‘goes beyond physical attraction’ Coco’s house rules on ‘Probinsyano’ set MOST READ Karch Kiraly. CONTRIBUTED PHOTOThree-time Olympic gold medalist Karch Kiraly sees a brighter future for volleyball in the Philippines, which is enjoying a renaissance with improved performances in the international stage.Kiraly, the current United States women’s national team coach, who will grace the opening Philippine Superliga Grand Prix on Saturday at Filoil Flying V Centre, believes the country has the potential to be among the world’s top volleyball countries, noting the support that the sport enjoys from fans.ADVERTISEMENT “I don’t think you have to be the tallest, the highest jumpers, the most powerful to be a great volleyball team,” he said at a press conference at Brotzeit Restaurant in Bonifacio Global City in Taguig.“I believe that lots of different areas in the world can produce great players and great coaches,” he added.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSRedemption is sweet for Ginebra, Scottie ThompsonSPORTSMayweather beats Pacquiao, Canelo for ‘Fighter of the Decade’SPORTSFederer blasts lack of communication on Australian Open smog Margot Robbie talks about filming ‘Bombshell’s’ disturbing sexual harassment scene It’s too early to present Duterte’s ‘legacy’ – Lacson OSG plea to revoke ABS-CBN franchise ‘a duplicitous move’ – Lacson LATEST STORIES Kiss-and-tell matinee idol’s conquests: True stories or tall tales? View comments Coco’s house rules on ‘Probinsyano’ set Jo Koy: My brain always wants to think funny Dillinger refuses to call Ginebra-Meralco a ‘rivalry’ yet Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard PLAY LIST 02:14Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard02:56NCRPO pledges to donate P3.5 million to victims of Taal eruption00:56Heavy rain brings some relief in Australia02:37Calm moments allow Taal folks some respite03:23Negosyo sa Tagaytay City, bagsak sa pag-aalboroto ng Bulkang Taal01:13Christian Standhardinger wins PBA Best Player award Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next
Gov’t to employ 6,000 displaced by Taal Amid criticism of theatrics, Klopp defends ‘smart’ Neymar Phivolcs: Slim probability of Taal Volcano caldera eruption With four remaining bids for 2026, the race so far remains in healthier shape for the IOC than the 2022 bidding, which came down to only Beijing and Almaty, Kazakhstan, both of which faced criticism for their governments’ human rights records and a perceived lack of winter sports tradition.However, each of the remaining bids faces its own challenges.Government support for Stockholm’s bid appears less certain after recent elections in which the governing party lost ground, while there has been infighting between the three Italian cities despite their nominal alliance. Calgary’s bid faces a non-binding referendum Nov. 13 — Olympic bids elsewhere have often struggled to win over voters. Erzurum’s key problem is Turkey’s status as a winter sports outsider which has never won an Olympic medal on snow or ice.The host city or cities will be chosen at the IOC session in Milan next September.ADVERTISEMENT Lights inside SMX hall flicker as Duterte rants vs Ayala, Pangilinan anew Lights inside SMX hall flicker as Duterte rants vs Ayala, Pangilinan anew Nadine Lustre’s phone stolen in Brazil Allen Durham still determined to help Meralco win 1st PBA title Japanese officials have said 41 people were killed when an earthquake hit Japan’s northern island of Hokkaido, where Sapporo is located, on Sept. 6. Even before the earthquake, Sapporo officials had said they might prefer to focus on 2030.The IOC said in a statement it “expressed its understanding that recovery from the earthquake in the region should be the immediate principle focus but greatly appreciated the continued strong commitment as a future host for the Olympic Winter Games.”FEATURED STORIESSPORTSGinebra beats Meralco again to capture PBA Governors’ Cup titleSPORTSJapeth Aguilar wins 1st PBA Finals MVP award for GinebraSPORTSGolden State Warriors sign Lee to multiyear contract, bring back ChrissFour bids remain in contention for 2026: Stockholm, Sweden; Calgary, Canada; a three-way Italian bid from Turin, Milan and Cortina d’Ampezzo; and Erzurum, Turkey.Sapporo’s exit means there is no chance of having three consecutive Winter Olympics in East Asia after this year’s games in Pyeongchang, South Korea, and the upcoming 2022 event in Beijing. LATEST STORIES Japeth Aguilar embraces role, gets rewarded with Finals MVP plum Gretchen Barretto’s daughter Dominique graduates magna cum laude from California college Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next MOST READ FILE – In this Thursday, Feb. 16, 2017 file photo, people walk by a poster for the Sapporo Asian Winter Games, displayed at the main media center in Sapporo on Japan’s northern island of Hokkaido. The Japanese city of Sapporo has dropped its bid to host the 2026 Winter Olympics following a recent earthquake. The International Olympic Committee says the city will now focus on a bid for the 2030 Games. (AP Photo/Shuji Kajiyama, File)LAUSANNE, Switzerland — The Japanese city of Sapporo has dropped its bid to host the 2026 Winter Olympics following a recent earthquake.After meeting with Sapporo representatives, the International Olympic Committee said Monday the city, which became the first in Asia to host the Winter Olympics in 1972, will now focus on a bid for the 2030 Games.ADVERTISEMENT Tim Cone, Ginebra set their sights on elusive All-Filipino crown Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard PLAY LIST 02:14Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard02:56NCRPO pledges to donate P3.5 million to victims of Taal eruption00:56Heavy rain brings some relief in Australia02:37Calm moments allow Taal folks some respite03:23Negosyo sa Tagaytay City, bagsak sa pag-aalboroto ng Bulkang Taal01:13Christian Standhardinger wins PBA Best Player award Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. View comments
Since it was announced that the City was looking into another boundary extension proposal in June, Giesbrecht and fellow Fort St. John resident Lisa Boda have taken it upon themselves to contact the property owners, and now have 74 signed position papers indicating whether they are in favour or opposed to the proposal. Of those 74, Giesbrecht says 92 per cent are in opposition. “Clearly they’re going to have a lot of work to change their proposal if they want those no’s to yes’ because so many businesses and families are opposed to it,” he maintains. “It seems to me very clear that they don’t want to get the views of very many landowners because they know that they have to submit those to the [Ministry of Community, Sport and Cultural Development], and the Ministry takes them very seriously,” he argues. The papers were received by Director of Legislative and Administrative Services Janet Prestley this afternoon, and will be attached to the administration report being prepared for the October 28 City Council meeting. Giesbrecht wanted to present the papers as a delegation at the next meeting, a request that was denied by city staff. – Advertisement -Prestley says receiving feedback from a delegation is not part of the process that was approved by the Ministry, and an option that wasn’t presented to other affected property owners. However, Giesbrecht argues it’s yet another move to do the bare minimum in consultation. “I’m worried that they’re trying to manage the input and the consultation process so much to keep out those people that are opposed. “The process is passive, and so we can’t just say to landowners, ‘Contact the City to make your view heard,’” he argues. “They’re busy! You need to actively talk to them, bring them the form, and say, ‘Can you give us your feedback? What do you think?’ and they’ll do it.” Advertisement The City has held two public meetings on the matter, and sent out its own “formal” response form to landowners, which asked for comments, in addition to their position. Mayor Lori Ackerman revealed Wednesday that only 23 property owners representing 56 pieces of land have responded, with a deadline of October 15th in order to be included in the report, before City Council decides whether to submit an application to the Ministry.
Japan, beaten 2-0 by Ghana on Wednesday in Nishino’s first game as coach, face Colombia, Senegal and Poland in Group H at the World Cup.Forward Shinji Okazaki, who has won a Premier League title with Leicester City, and defenders Yuto Nagatomo and Maya Yoshida will also bring experience to a Blue Samurai team low on confidence.“In a short space of time as coach, I’ve been charged with a very tough job to select 23 players,” Nishino told reporters.“I’m confident in this group and believe they can rise to the occasion, despite last night’s result,” added the 63-year-old, constantly sucking his teeth in a nervous display broadcast live on Japanese television.“I don’t want to make concrete predictions but hopefully we can pick up points game by game and get through the group stage.”Japan, who will be playing in their sixth successive World Cup, have twice reached the last 16 — in 2010 and as co-hosts in 2002.Okazaki and Kagawa, who had both been struggling with injury, returned to the Japan side as substitutes on Wednesday — the one silver lining for Nishino on a tough night.Kagawa and Honda were two of those thought to have been at loggerheads with Halilhodzic, who was unceremoniously dumped by JFA president Kozo Tashima citing a breakdown of communication between the players and the firebrand Franco-Bosnian.“We go (to Russia) in good shape with a strong nucleus and some veteran players,” said Nishino, set to face intense pressure at the World Cup after his employers took the high-risk decision to switch coaches.“The nucleus of the team is strong and we have a good balance. I believe this team can showcase Japanese football to the world.”Japan travel to Europe to take on Switzerland on June 6 and Paraguay on June 12 in final tune-ups.They take on Colombia in their opening World Cup game on June 19.“It might take a miracle to beat Colombia but that’s what we hope to do,” said Nishino.“I expect my players to perform. Last night was disappointing — we all wanted to get off to a winning start. But we didn’t suffer any injuries and it was an important step to preparing for the World Cup.”Squad (teams Japanese unless stated otherwise):Goalkeepers — Eiji Kawashima (Metz/FRA), Masaaki Higashiguchi (Gamba Osaka), Kosuke Nakamura (Kashiwa).Defenders — Yuto Nagatomo (Galatasaray/TUR), Tomoaki Makino (Urawa), Wataru Endo (Urawa), Maya Yoshida (Southampton/ENG), Hiroki Sakai (Marseille/FRA), Gotoku Sakai (Hamburg/GER), Gen Shoji, Naomichi Ueda (Kashima).Midfielders — Makoto Hasebe (Eintracht Frankfurt/GER), Keisuke Honda (Pachuca/MEX), Takashi Inui (Eibar/ESP), Shinji Kagawa (Dortmund/GER), Hotaru Yamaguchi (Cerezo Osaka), Genki Haraguchi, (Fortuna Dusseldorf/GER), Takashi Usami (Fortuna Dusseldorf/GER), Gaku Shibasaki (Getafe/ESP), Ryota Oshima (Kawasaki)Forwards — Shinji Okazaki (Leicester/ENG), Yuya Osako (Werder Bremen/GER), Yoshinori Muto (Mainz/GER)0Shares0000(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today) 0Shares0000Keisuke Honda was believed to be at odds with Japan coach’s former Vahid Halilhodzic, who was fired last month. © AFP / Martin BUREAUTOKYO, Japan, May 31 – Trouble-hit Japan will hope star power can reverse their flagging fortunes after new coach Akira Nishino named his 23-man squad for the World Cup in Russia on Thursday.The former JFA technical director, who took charge after predecessor Vahid Halilhodzic was controversially fired last month, took no risks as he turned to his old guard, including talismanic forward Keisuke Honda and playmaker Shinji Kagawa.
With the summer window now just around the corner, here are top transfer-related stories in Sunday’s newspapers…Paris Saint-Germain have overtaken Manchester United in the transfer race for Real Madrid forward Cristiano Ronaldo, 30, by launching an £88m bid. (Marca) The French club have also made a move for United’s Argentine midfielder Angel Di Maria, 27, and are trying to sign him on a year’s loan. (Sun on Sunday) Real Madrid goalkeeper Iker Casillas, 34, believes the Spanish giants should sign David De Gea, 24, from Manchester United – even if it spells the end of his Bernabeu career. (Mail on Sunday) United have been offered Costa Rica keeper Keylor Navas, 28, as a sweetener in a bid to take De Gea to Real Madrid. (Sunday Express) Championship-bound QPR could be set to receive £10m if Liverpool sell 20-year-old forward Raheem Sterling, should their former player leave Anfield for more than £50m. (Sunday Telegraph) Liverpool are ready to put a £60m price on Sterling to test the resolve of Manchester City, Chelsea and Arsenal. (Mail on Sunday) Liverpool are planning to sign Aston Villa striker Christian Benteke, 24, for £30m in a recruitment drive which they hope will enable them to catch up ground on their Premier League rivals. (Sunday Times) Sherwood also hopes to add to his Villa squad by beating Liverpool and Newcastle to the signing of Manchester City defender Micah Richards, 26, who is out of contract this summer. (Daily Star Sunday) Manchester City midfielder James Milner, 29, could be heading to Liverpool this summer after rejecting a move to Arsenal. (Daily Star Sunday) Dick Advocaat will fly back to the Netherlands on Monday and beg his wife to allow him to stay on at Sunderland for 12 more months after the 67-year-old helped guide the Black Cats to another season in the Premier League. (Sunday Express) Queens Park Rangers striker Charlie Austin, 24, is a £10m target for Southampton this summer. (Sunday Mirror) Hull striker Nikica Jelavic, 29, will look to leave Hull on loan and move to a Premier League club if the Tigers go down on Sunday. (Sun on Sunday) Arsene Wenger has set a deadline for contract talks with Theo Walcott as the 26-year-old Arsenal winger enters the final year of his contract. (Independent on Sunday) And here are the latest transfer rumours and exclusives from talkSPORT.com…Exclusive – West Ham are ‘crazy’ to let Sam Allardyce go, according to former assistantSelling Aaron Ramsey will put Arsenal’s title hopes back five years, warns Perry GrovesArsenal star Aaron Ramsey is good enough to replace Xavi at Barcelona, says ex-GunnerIt will be a huge wrench for Petr Cech to leave Chelsea, says Mark SchwarzerBlow for Arsenal! Transfer target ‘very close’ to agreeing Juventus moveLouis van Gaal optimistic David De Gea will stay at Manchester United despite Real Madrid interestRoberto Mancini interested in bringing Arsenal target to Inter MilanArsenal boss Arsene Wenger rules out bid for Callum WilsonArsenal star Aaron Ramsey good enough to replace Xavi at Barcelona, says ex-GunnerJuventus line up audacious summer swoop for Tottenham wingerCarlo Ancelotti claims he has not held Real Madrid talks amid sack rumoursExclusive – Stoke City enter race for one time Tottenham and Liverpool targetArsenal and Liverpool target reveals dream moveBrendan Rodgers expects Raheem Sterling to see out Liverpool contract 1 Transfer rumours and paper review – Sunday, May 24
Kevin Wimmer could be ready for a Premier League title fight at the end of deputising for Jan Vertonghen, according to Tottenham coach Mauricio Pochettino.Austria defender Wimmer has been tipped to come of top-flight age in Vertonghen’s expected two-month absence due to knee-ligament damage.The 23-year-old should start Saturday’s FA Cup fourth-round trip to Colchester – and then Pochettino wants him to jump at the chance for an extended first-team run.Pochettino believes holding off from bolstering his defensive resources in January will allow Wimmer crucial experience that could pay off handsomely if Spurs are chasing top honours come the end of the season.“This is a good example of when we rotate and give the possibilities to other players,” said Pochettino.“You never know when something wrong can happen and we are sure Kevin (Wimmer) can do well.“He has had the possibility to play in different games, not as much as maybe he expects. But he has been good.“He has shown the quality and his team-mates trust him.“It is important because you never know when a problem will arrive and maybe the player who does not play too much will be a key player to achieve big things.”Confirming centre-back Vertonghen is likely to miss two months with his knee problem, Pochettino explained why he could hold off from trying to bring in defensive reinforcements before the close of the transfer window.“I understand you ask me why we rotate but the squad is important,” said Pochettino.“If something happens in the future and you have the last five games of the Premier League, in this moment you need help from the player who has not played too much.“If they deserve to play you need to give them the possibility to play.“Maybe the injury will be two months for Jan (Vertonghen). You never know about injuries and how the knee reacts and the process.“Sometimes it is early or late, all bodies are different.“But in my mind it is two months.”Wimmer made his Premier League debut in Saturday’s 3-1 win over Crystal Palace, replacing Vertonghen in the closing stages.The former Cologne defender joined Spurs in the summer, but is now being tipped to cement his future with the club.“He is very calm, he has a very good left foot, he’s very strong, and a very good person,” said Pochettino.“He has a lot of good attributes.He is very young, and now he has more possibility to play.“He is like Vertonghen – but younger!” 1 Jan Vertonghen
Jurgen Klopp has hinted that out-of-favour winger Lazar Markovic could still have a future at Liverpool.Markovic is currently on a season-long loan at Fenerbahce after former Reds boss Brendan Rodgers deemed him surplus to requirements at Anfield, although there was no buyout option included in the deal.And Klopp insists he is open to giving the Serbian a chance to prove himself next season.“We have to decide early and at the right moment on transfers,” said Klopp.“But it is about a squad where you can play different systems and react to different situations.“We have enough strikers – five with Roberto [Firmino] – but not too many wingers, just a few young ones with great potential.” 1 Liverpool winger Lazar Markovic
11 11 11 11 11 11 11 34. Francis Coquelin (centre midfield) 14. Theo Walcott (striker) 11 15. Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain (right wing) 11 16. Aaron Ramsey (centre midfield) 11. Mesut Ozil (attacking midfield) Arsenal host Champions League holders Barcelona in the last 16 of the elite European competition on Tuesday night.It’s a draw that Arsene Wenger and his men will have dreaded being handed, with Luis Enrique’s side currently enjoying a 32-game unbeaten run, largely thanks to the prolific form of fearsome trio Neymar, Luis Suarez and Lionel Messi.So, with the pressure on, who will Wenger turn to?Take a look at talkSPORT’s predicted Arsenal line up by clicking the yellow arrow above, right. 11 6. Per Mertesacker (centre back) 11 17. Alexis Sanchez (left wing) 24. Hector Bellerin (right back) 4. Laurent Koscielny (centre back) – see the full line up, in squad number order, by clicking the right arrow above 18. Nacho Monreal (left back) 33. Petr Cech (goalkeeper)
This week Andy Brassell and Paolo Bandini are joined by Danny Higginbotham to preview the Champions League Final, and also look ahead to Euro 2016