Petition circulating to cancel carnival at Indiana State Fairgrounds

first_img Facebook Previous articleProtester struck by vehicle near Battell Park in MishawakaNext articleMichigan City transit workers sidelined after testing positive for COVID-19 Network Indiana Google+ Twitter Twitter Facebook Pinterest By Network Indiana – July 5, 2020 0 648 Petition circulating to cancel carnival at Indiana State Fairgrounds CoronavirusIndianaLocalNews (Source: goo.gl/d8KXJr License: https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0/) A petition to cancel the Fairgrounds Fun Park is gaining some traction as the coronavirus still remains prevalent in Indiana.The fun park will be a miniature state fair of sorts. The Indiana State Fair has been canceled, but North American Midway Entertainment, the company that usually runs the midway of the state fair, has rented 13 acres at the state fairgrounds for a carnival alternative set to run from July 31st to September 7th.Jody Madeira is an Indiana University law professor who specializes in public health issues. She tells WISH-TV she started the petition to cancel the event because it could be a contributing factor to a possible new surge in coronavirus cases in Indiana.“I was mystified because the original state fair had been canceled basically because of coronavirus and yet we had been received news that there was going to be another fair consisting of basically the same things that you would find at the state fair,” she said. “Only this one is going on despite a surge in corona cases.”The numbers from the state health department still show a modest decrease in the overall infection rate in Indiana, but the number of people going to the hospital with COVID-19 is going up which prompted Gov. Eric Holcomb and Indy Mayor Joe Hogsett to pump the brakes on reopening efforts this week.“We could say, you know, ‘if you don’t agree with this, stay home’,” Madeira added. “The problem is if we have a super spreader event in our community if we have a fair that opens up at the fairgrounds, if we have a school that doesn’t require masks, then this affects the entire community.”Surges are happening states like Arizona, Texas, California, and Florida where governors there have also pressed pause on reopening efforts and in some cases closed a few things back down again.Alicia Thomas, a spokeswoman for North American Midway Entertainment, assures you they are taking all precautions possible.“Some of the top things we’re requiring masks for all our employees and contractors,” Thomas said. “They are highly recommended for guests. We are providing hand sanitizer and handwashing stations throughout the grounds and sanitizing all the high touch areas and rides.”Organizers say the number of people allowed into the carnival at one time will be limited as well to allow for adequate social distancing.State health commissioner Dr. Kris Box has neither endorsed nor denounced the carnival.“I know from a state-level the concept of the carnival and the ride is still under discussion,” Box said at a Wednesday press conference. “I’m going to have a time here shortly to talk to the CEO of the fairgrounds there about what might happen in August.”For now, the Fairgrounds Fun Park is still on as scheduled. WhatsApp WhatsApp Pinterest Google+last_img read more

Daft Punk Is Reportedly In The Studio Working On New Music

first_imgWe haven’t heard much from Daft Punk since the release of their multiple Grammy-winning album Random Access Memories in 2013. But it looks like that may be changing soon. In an interview with Billboard, Republic Records executive Wendy Goldstein was asked a question about what artists she’s always wanted to work with, and answered–rather nonchalantly–with some exciting news: “Actually, we [Goldstein and fellow hitmaker Ron Perry] have a session coming up in two days with The Weeknd and Daft Punk. I’m a massive Daft Punk fan, and this is the first time that I’ve actually been involved with an artist who’s going to go and work with them.”While this is the only information we have about the reported session, this is definitely exciting news for fans of both The Weeknd and Daft Punk. Watch the full video below (or skip to  2:39 for Goldstein’s comment):[h/t – YourEDM]last_img read more

Nassau Cops Add Moving Billboard to Robbery Spree, Murder Probe

first_imgSign up for our COVID-19 newsletter to stay up-to-date on the latest coronavirus news throughout New York Nassau County police are taking an investigation into a string of armed robberies and a related homicide to the streets.Several members of the police brass joined Nassau County Executive Ed Mangano outside a BP gas station in Jericho on Friday to unveil a giant school-bus sized mobile billboard requesting information that will help an army of investigators find the brazen, gun-toting robber, who has targeted at least 11 businesses, mostly gas stations, in Nassau since mid December.“Nassau County Crime Stoppers needs your help!” the billboard blares in large white letters.Crime Stoppers is offering a combined $35,000 reward—$25,000 for the homicide and $10,000 for the robberies—for information leading to the arrest of the suspect.Mangano, standing at a podium in front of the billboard on the gas station’s property, said police are asking the public to help “bring this cold-blooded killer to justice.”The moving billboard will be driven to the areas where the robberies have occurred, police said. Officials hope this effort will breathe new life into the investigation and perhaps attract the attention of individuals who have crucial information regarding the suspect.“This person has struck every day of the week,” said Chief of Detectives Kevin Smith, describing how the suspect operates. “Our resolve is intact,” Smith added. “It’s not diminished. We’re going to catch this guy.”Police officials are hoping the public can help with their cause.“Don’t hesitate” to call, Smith implored.An armed assailant, pictured in these surveillance images, is believed to be responsible for nine robberies and one homicide since December, police said.The suspect, who is still unknown to police, is responsible for 10 robberies in the county, beginning on Dec. 20 last year and continuing into February. The suspect last struck on Feb. 18, stealing cash from a Sunoco gas station on Hempstead Turnpike in East Meadow.Investigators believe the suspect is also responsible for the fatal shooting of 57-year-old Levittown resident Hany Awad, who was gunned down on Jan. 28 inside the same BP gas station where officials held Friday’s press conference. Police have yet to say what, if anything, was taken from the gas station during the homicide.The suspect is described as a black man between 5-feet, 11-inches and 6-feet tall, with a thin build, wearing all black Nike clothing, a black mask, black gloves, black Nike sneakers with red laces and armed with either a black or a silver revolver. The assailant has hit nine gas stations and two 7-Eleven stores in Westbury, Hicksville, and Jericho. The robbery in East Meadow was the only one committed outside those three neighborhoods.Both the robbery and homicides squads are investigating the crime spree. The Major Case Bureau and Bureau of Special Operations are also assisting in the investigation.Anyone with information regarding these crimes can call Crime Stopper sat 1-800-244-TIPS. All callers will remain anonymous.last_img read more

Manipur Lift Senior Women’s Football Nationals Title

first_imgPasighat: Manipur beat Railways 1-0 to triumph in the final of the 25th Senior Women’s NFC 2019-20 at the CHF Ground on Tuesday.While both the teams went for a safety-first approach since the get-go, defenders had their tasks cut out to keep Manipur skipper Bala Devi and Kamala, who came into the game having scored twenty goals apiece, in check.Daya Devi, who scored seven goals in the last two matches, got the first chance in the second minute but Railways goalkeeper Swarnamayee Samal parried it away.Railways wingers Mamta and Sanju continued to keep the Manipur defenders on their toes and the latter could have found the back of the net inside the first ten minutes but missed the target by a whisker. Daya got another chance in the 28th minute from an acute angle but her left-footer went begging.Following fewer chances in the first 45 minutes, Railways deployed more pair of legs in the attacking third to help Kamala and Sanju in their pursuit of the eluding goal but to no avail.After the hour-mark, Manipur shifted gears and earned back-to-back opportunities only to see them intercepted by India’s national team skipper Ashalata Devi and Manisha Panna.Finally, in the 67th minute, following a melee inside the Railways box, Bala unleashed a right-footer and Samal, whose vision was blocked partially, had clearly no answer to stop that. IANS Also Read: Manipur to face Railways in final of Women National Football C’ship Also Watch: Soil Erosion at 4-lane National Highway in Lumding | The Sentinel News | Assam Newslast_img read more

Jamaica secures 3rd place in discus at CAC Games

first_imgJamaica’s Traves Smith won Jamaica’s ninth medal at the CAC Games in Barranquilla, Colombia, on Sunday when he finished third in the men’s discus.It is Jamaica’s first medal from the athletics competition that began on Sunday evening.Smikle, the 2018 Commonwealth Games silver medalist, threw 64.68m but it was not enough to overhaul the effort of Jorge Hernandez Fernandez, who threw a season’s best 65.27 to take the silver medal. The gold was won by Mauricio Ortega Giron of Colombia who produced a personal best 66.30m on his first attempt and was good enough to secure the victory.Smikle said he had mixed feelings about the performance but the two men who bested him got going a lot earlier than he did.“In the throws you have to get firing from early and you don’t know when it’s going to happen but for the two competitors that bested me they performed really well,” he said.“64.68, I’m not too happy but I am not too sad. I am grateful and trying to get consistent.”Jamaica’s Basil Bingham was fifth with a season’s best 60.26m.Smikle’s medal was the fifth bronze medal won by Jamaica at these championships. Its athletes have also won three gold, one silver medal so far.last_img read more

Plaintiff’s name disappears from GECOM list

first_imgLegal challenge…case against AFC’s “fraudulent” list for hearing todayThe People’s Progressive Party’s (PPP) challenge disputing the validity of the Alliance For Change (AFC) list of backers in the Whim/Bloomfield Neighbourhood Democratic Council (NDC) is set for hearing at the Berbice High Court today, before Justice Navindra Singh. However, attorney for the applicant, Anil NandlallAttorney-at-Law Anil Nandlallhas said his client, Shafraz Beekham’s name has suddenly disappeared from the list under question.After this year’s Nomination Day for the Local Government Elections (LGE), Whim/Bloomfield constituency candidate for the People’s Progressive Party/Civic (PPP/C), Shafraz Beekham, discovered his name of the AFC list. He subsequently filed a legal challenge against the Guyana Elections Commission (GECOM) to ensure that himself and the 50 other persons names which were “fraudulently” affixed to the AFC list of backers be removed. Ahead of the hearing Nandlall told members of the media on Wednesday that Beekham’s name was deleted as he offered theories disclosing why was this was done.“Yesterday (Tuesday) at a GECOM meeting, a list was produced by the ChiefElections Officer Kieth Lowenfield purporting to be the very list that we are complaining against and outrageously the name ‘Shafraz Beekham’ is absent on that list. Our list has the RO’s (Returning Officer) stamp,” he said.The Chief Elections Officer and the Whim Returning Officer (RO) Orlando Christopher Persaud are the respondents in the matter but the attorney suggestedChief Elections Officer Kieth Lowenfieldthat the now redrawn list is geared to derail his case.“The name was obviously deleted so they can go to the court [today] to say ‘look this man who is complaining that his name was fraudulently procured and placed on that list; his name is not that list’ but the manufacturing seems to have taken place in GECOM itself and that is what is worrying. However, 50 names (PPP candidates) are on that (AFC’s) list and our Commissioners asked for that list that they have to be given to them and that request was denied,” Nandlall further explained.The former Attorney General further told Guyana Times that Lowenfield explained that the list he declined to disclose was “for his lawyer”. The PPP is also seeking to have the names of 50 electors, removed from the AFC’s list in the Berbice NDCThe purported list that shows PPP’s Shafraz Beekham’s name as a candidate for the AFCunder question.In a sworn affidavit, Beekham, who is a registered elector on the official List of Electors for Constituency Number Three had said that he and others were “deliberately deceived into signing a document by an AFC representative who he claimed fraudulently represented that she was employed by GECOM and that he needed to sign a document to confirm that his name was on the voter’s list.Beekham’s legal suit stated that on Tuesday, September 25, 2018, he and other electors visited Persaud’s office in Whim to submit the affidavits to have their names withdrawn.The litigant had also said that he learnt on Friday, September 28, that Persaud, the RO, had refused to withdraw his name and that of the 49 other electors from the lists submitted by the AFC. Aside from Nandlall, Adrian Anamayah and Ian Anamayah are also representing the applicant. The current case is just one of several actions filed ahead of the November 12 polls.last_img read more

Banning High alumnus shot 3 times

first_imgHe was hospitalized in stable condition. The shooting is not gang-related, said Detective Michelle Esquivel of the Los Angeles Police Department’s Harbor Division. “There’s probably a reason for it,” Esquivel said. “The kids who were there had nothing to do with gangs.” Esquivel said she has identified a suspect in the case, but no arrests have been made. Jaquez was a solid regular player for a young Banning team that went 15-17 last year. A first-team All-Marine League pick, he batted .333 with four homers, 31 RBIs and a .593 slugging percentage for the Pilots. He enrolled at Harbor College in the fall and was expected to make the team as a first baseman for the Seahawks. Head coach Marco Alvillar said the shooting may result in Jaquez missing the entire season. “I’m not too familiar with the recovery time of a person who was shot three times,” Alvillar said. “But I imagine he’ll miss the season.” [email protected] Staff writer Tony Ciniglio contributed to this report. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! WILMINGTON: The baseball player was attacked while handing out candy to trick-or-treaters on Halloween. By Paul Clinton Staff Writer Former Banning High School baseball standout Anthony Jaquez is recovering from wounds sustained during a Halloween night shooting while he handed out candy to children. AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREGame Center: Chargers at Kansas City Chiefs, Sunday, 10 a.m.Jaquez, 18, was shot three times as he stood in the front yard of a friend’s house Wednesday evening. Police said a car pulled up to the house and someone opened fire on Jaquez. No one else was hit. “He probably didn’t know the guy,” said uncle Mondo Ponce, an assistant coach at Banning High, where Jaquez played last year as a first baseman on the varsity squad. The shooting occurred at about 9:15 p.m. in the 1500 block of Marine Avenue at Q Street, west of Wilmington Cemetery. Jaquez was handing out candy to local trick-or-treaters, when the shooting occurred, police said. last_img read more

Leeds snatch late draw against Forest with controversial Kemar Roofe goal

first_img 4 Kemar Roofe scored a controversial late equaliser as Leeds snatched a 1-1 draw with Nottingham Forest at Elland Road.Forest appeared to be on course to secure another away victory after Jack Robinson headed them into an early lead but they had to settle for a point. Kemar Roofe celebrated, regardless of the dispute Leeds responded positively, with Pablo Hernandez having a deflected effort turned behind and Roofe volleying wide from close range.United suffered a big blow when right-back Luke Ayling went off injured and Matty Cash threatened to leave them with an improbable task when he took aim in the box, only to lash his shot wide.Forest were forced into a change early in the second period when captain Danny Fox went off injured but substitute Michael Dawson and his fellow defenders limited Leeds to speculative efforts as the home fans grew frustrated.Marcelo Bielsa turned to Samuel Saiz and Jack Clarke for inspiration and the latter tried to get Leeds going with an audacious strike that flew wide. The visitors were incensed as Roofe appeared to bundle the ball home with his arm yet they were fortunate to escape with a share of the spoils from a game Leeds dominated from start to finish.Buoyed by Wednesday’s welcome win over Ipswich, Leeds made a fast start and had an early chance when Mateusz Klich lost his footing with the goal gaping after Costel Pantilimon spilt Adam Forshaw’s cross.But it was Forest who opened the scoring on 12 minutes, Robinson beating Bailey Peacock-Farrell with a downward header from Joe Lolley’s corner. 4 Leeds’ equaliser was very controversial The young winger then flashed a cross just beyond the reach of Hernandez and it appeared as if it was not going to be Leeds’ night.But Forest eventually buckled eight minutes from time when Roofe turned in Klich’s shot on the line after Stuart Dallas had fired the ball across goal.The visitors claimed Roofe used his arm but referee Geoff Eltringham gave the goal after a lengthy discussion with the linesman.Hernandez came close to winning it for Leeds in stoppage time but his deft flick from Alioski’s cross went just wide.TABLE Costel Pantilimon could not believe the goal was given 4 4last_img read more