Regime accused of staging “creeping coup” against the press

first_img Iran: Press freedom violations recounted in real time January 2020 March 18, 2021 Find out more Help by sharing this information Reporters Without Borders today deplored the arbitrary and repressive methods of a regime whose culture minister recently accused the media of promoting a “creeping coup” against the government. Judicial officials have in the past 10 days ordered the suspension of the daily Ham Mihan and the permanent closure of the daily Moshareket, while the new agency ILNA’s future seems uncertain after government pressure forced its director, Masoud Heydari, to resign.“Iranian officials accuse the media of conspiring against the regime and of trying to destabilise it by means of investigative reporting,” the press freedom organisation said. “Such paranoid discourse is used to justify censorship and the closure of news media. Blocking access to news, summoning journalists for questioning, arresting them or making them pay exorbitant amounts in bail – the harassment takes many different forms.”Reporters Without Borders added: “The president’s office, government ministers and the judicial system all work together to silence the remaining independent news media. After putting government supporters in charge of most news organisations, the regime is cracking down with increasing determination on all the others who do not swear allegiance.”Ham Mihan was suspended on 4 July at the request of Tehran prosecutor general Said Mortazavi, who argued that it was illegal because there were procedural “errors” in the trial in 2000 when it was suspended for calling for an improvement in relations between Iran and the United States. The day it resumed publishing, on 13 May of this year, it ran a front-page story about the US-Iranian talks in Baghdad. It also defied a government ban on reporting the disturbances that followed the introduction of petrol rationing on 27 June.The next day, another judicial decision confirmed the definitive closure of Moshareket, a daily which had also been suspended since 2000. The former mouthpiece of the pro-reform Participation Front, it was suspended during a judicial campaign against the opposition press. Defending its closure, President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad’s press adviser, Mohammad Ali Javanfekr, said: “When a news media puts itself at the service of a political group opposed to the government, it becomes a tool for sabotaging and weakening the government, aiming to quietly overthrow it.”ILNA director Heydari resigned on 3 July after several months of government harassment. A pro-reform news agency founded in 2003, ILNA has covered government crackdowns on women’s movements, students and workers in great detail. It has also been the target of bureaucratic sanctions ranging from a ban on attending government events to harassment of its reporters. Another Iranian news agency reported that a judge’s order was responsible for the fact that ILNA’s website can no longer be accessed.Journalist Ejlal Ghavami of Payam-e mardom-e Kurdestan (a weekly that has been suspended since 2004) was meanwhile arrested on 9 July, exactly one month after a court in Sanandaj (in Iran’s Kurdish northwest) sentenced him to three years in prison for “inciting the population to revolt” and “working against national security.” He had been arrested two years ago while covering a peaceful demonstration.Iran’s Supreme Guide, Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, and the Islamic Republic’s president, Ahmadinejad, are both on the Reporters Without Borders list of press freedom predators. A total of seven Iranian journalists are currently in prison. July 12, 2007 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Regime accused of staging “creeping coup” against the press After the closure of two newspapers in the space of a week, Reporters Without Borders condemns the harassment of news media that refuse to kowtow to the Ahmadinejad regime. Blocking access to news, summoning journalists for questioning, arresting them or making them pay exorbitant amounts in bail – the harassment takes many different forms. IranMiddle East – North Africa Follow the news on Iran Organisation June 9, 2021 Find out more Receive email alerts to go further News RSF_en February 25, 2021 Find out more IranMiddle East – North Africa Call for Iranian New Year pardons for Iran’s 21 imprisoned journalists After Hengameh Shahidi’s pardon, RSF asks Supreme Leader to free all imprisoned journalists News News Newslast_img read more

European Commission Seeks Comments on Future Regime for Liner Shipping Consortia

first_imgThe European Commission is inviting comments on the regulation exempting liner shipping consortia from EU antitrust rules that prohibit anticompetitive agreements between companies, known as the “Consortia Block Exemption Regulation”.Given that the regulation will expire on April 25, 2020, the commission has launched a consultation seeking to collect views from stakeholders.These comments are to assist the commission’s assessment of the impact and relevance of the regulation and provide evidence for determining whether it should be left to expire or prolonged, and if so, under which conditions.In particular, the European Commission is seeking the views of shipping companies, their clients — shippers and freight forwarders, port operators and their respective associations. Other interested parties include industry analysts, academics, and law firms specializing in competition law and the maritime sector. The competition authorities of the EU Member States will also be consulted.All stakeholders are invited to submit their views on the commission’s consultation website until December 20, 2018.Liner shipping services comprise the provision of regular, scheduled non-bulk maritime cargo transport on a specific route. They require significant levels of investment and therefore are regularly provided by several shipping companies cooperating in consortia agreements. Consortia can lead to economies of scale and better use of the space of the vessels. A fair share of the benefits resulting from these efficiencies can be passed on to the users of the shipping services in terms of better coverage of ports and better services.Container shipping organised on the basis of liner consortia accounts for the majority of non-bulk freight carried by sea to and from Europe. Competitive shipping services are therefore essential for the EU’s economy as a whole.EU law generally bans agreements between companies that restrict competition. However, the maritime Consortia Block Exemption Regulation allows, under certain conditions, shipping lines with a combined market share of below 30% to enter into cooperation agreements to provide joint cargo transport services.Where such consortia face sufficient competition, where they are not used to fix prices nor share the market, their users may benefit from improvements in productivity and service quality. They are therefore exempted from the prohibition of anticompetitive agreements in Article 101(1) of the Treaty on the Functioning of the European Union (TFEU).last_img read more

LIAT introduces security charges

first_img Share Tweet LifestyleNewsRegionalTravel LIAT introduces security charges by: – July 3, 2013 ST. JOHN’S, Antigua– The regional airline, LIAT, which is in the process of acquiring a fleet of new aircraft, Wednesday said it was increase the cost of its tickets to include a security surcharge.A statement from the Antigua-based airline said that the surcharge on tickets is “in response to rising security demands and spiralling security costs.“The new security surcharge of US$1.25 per one way trip applies to all passengers, including children and infants, on all LIAT flights.”LIAT said heightened airline and airport security over the last 10 years has resulted in rising security demands on airlines.“Additional security measures at many airports have been introduced including extra baggage searches and increased security around aircraft while on the ground,” LIAT said, adding that “over the past several years security costs have been climbing and LIAT has been absorbing these costs in an effort to cushion the effects on its customers.“With the introduction of the security surcharge, LIAT hopes to recoup some of the additional security costs. LIAT takes the safety and security of its customers and employees very seriously and appreciates your understanding in the current circumstances.”The airline said it was joining more than 100 airlines worldwide which have introduced similar charges since 2001.Caribbean Media Corporation Sharecenter_img Share Sharing is caring! 57 Views   no discussionslast_img read more

Batesville’s Large Trash Collection Day Sept. 6

first_imgBATESVILLE – Residents with Rumpke Service may want to mark their calendar for September 6, the next large trash collection date.The one-day event begins at 5:00 a.m. Citizens are encouraged to set their disposable items out the evening before to ensure that items are not missed.The large trash pickup is ideal for material too large to fit in a trash can or weighs greater than 75 pounds.Acceptable Items Include:old clothingfurniture, bedsprings, mattresses, etc.old rugs, carpet pieces rubber hoseappliances (as in washers, driers, etc.)wood (bundled 4 feet long or shorter, 75 lbs. maximum)insulationall cans or buckets, totally cleaned and drypaint cans (must be dried paint)Unacceptable Items Include:No electronic devices containing mercury (as in TV’s, computers, microwaves, cell phones, etc.)No building and construction materials (bricks, etc.)No remodeling materials (interior/exterior)No landscape materialsNo car body parts including wheels and tiresNo steel or metal framingNo tree limbs, grass clippings or leavesRefrigerators, AC units, and freezers are required to have a sticker on them showing that the CFC’s was removed by a certified person. This includes units without the compressors in them. If there is no sticker, your unit will be rejected.TV’s, computers (& monitors), microwaves, VCR’s, and all other electronics can be dropped off at Batesville’s Waste Water Treatment Plant, 25019 Underpass Road, Monday-Friday, 8 am – 3 pm. Please register at the office prior to unloading.last_img read more

Banks Malta Supreme Inter-Gym boxing tourney: WBG give notice after winning three of four fights

first_imgTHE Wakenaam Boxing Gym (WBG) can be described as the `New Kids on the Block’ but they certainly sounded a warning last Saturday when the Forgotten Youth Foundation (FYF) boxing gym staged the Banks DIH-sponsored Inter-gym boxing tournament at its Bel Air and James Streets, Albouystown location.Competing for the first time in an amateur boxing tournament, the Wakenaam Boxing Gym (WBG) was represented by four pugilists and of that number, three won their respective bouts, resulting in the gym being named the runner-up gym behind hosts FYF.Terrence Softleigh, Clayton Retemiah and Rondell Grandison were in winners’ row, while Travel Evans lost his contest against Moses Crawford (FYF).Softleigh defeated Latherall Richards (FYF), while Retemiah and Grandison prevailed over Milo Jaqwan (FYF) and Mark Crawford (FYF) respectively.Meanwhile, Malachi Jones (FYF) defeated his gym-mate Wayne Costello by a split decision in an actual brawling affair that saw both boxers go at each other throughout the three rounds.Martin Mugabe (FYF) pounded out a split decision win over his FYF mate Michael Beckles. Patrick Harvey (FYF) defeated his gym-mate Ome Keiler, Richard Howard (FYF) fought valiantly but failed to get past Jakey Cadogan, Travis Inverary of Harpy Eagles (HE), Isaiah Moore (FYF) was too good for Omar Pollard of the Pocket Rockets Boxing Gym, Brian Harris (FYF) forced the referee to stop his fight against Andrew Modeste (HE) in the first round,Shamar Morrison (FYF) won by a second-round technical knockout over Kimani Yahya (HE), Shaqueal Damon (FYF) won by a third-round TKO over Angle Arays of Young Achievers, Jamal Eastman of Rose Hall Town Jammers proved too good for Junior Henry and won on points, while Keevin Allicock won on points against Julius Kesney.Moore was adjudged Best Boxer in the Junior category and Inverary won a similar accolade in the schoolboys category and was also adjudged the Most Disciplined Boxer on show.Pollard was named the Most Improved Boxer.last_img