By MADDY VITALEThe Ocean City Theatre Company (OCTC) and the city’s Recreation Department are teaming up to bring theatre camps to kids this summer.CDC guidelines will be adhered to. There will be small group settings of 20 students or less, face masks will be required when not able to social distance, and all of the activities will be held outdoors under the Music Pier Loggia. The three camps, one each for elementary, middle, and high school students, allow those who love the performing arts to join together and share their talents. “The theatre company is super-excited to team up with the city’s Recreation Department to keep the tradition of theatre camp going in Ocean City,” said Michael Hartman, founder of the OCTC and the special events coordinator for the city. “I am actually celebrating 19 summers of theatre camp in Ocean City with the Rec Center.” He emphasized that due to COVID-19 rules, there is limited capacity in each of the groups.“We encourage early sign-up because the spots are for 20 or less for each group,” Hartman noted. “It is really crucial for people who are interested to sign up as soon as possible.”Preliminary sign-ups are this Wednesday.Registration is now open and with limited capacity, interested families are encouraged to enroll as soon as possible to secure a spot by clicking the community pass link at www.ocnj.us/recreation.There will be an array of camps specifically geared toward the different age groups. “The younger kids each week have a different theme to give them a different experience,” Hartman said.The Music Pier Loggia in this 2019 summer photo, provides a large, outdoor area for the OCTC summer camps, while also protecting participants from inclement weather.The middle school students get to express themselves by writing their own monologue about how they deal with social media, bullying, the pandemic, or anything else they are dealing with.“It is really powerful,” Hartman said of the middle school camp. “There will also be some musical theatre.” Hartman described the high school camp as “intense musical theatre boot camp.”Each group of 20 kids will have a professional coach to guide them through performing challenges. It is not a talent show – it is camp, he emphasized.But the hope is that the older kids could learn more about musical theatre, the different shows and acting techniques and bond in their group of 20 kids.Hartman said this year, more than other years, is so important to keep kids who are a part of theatre, or are new to it, active and interested in the healthy outlet.“So many programs were canceled,” he said of the impact of the pandemic. “So many of these kids’ school shows were canceled and they didn’t get the chance for closure with choral and band programs. That was really taken away from them.”With a full schedule of camp programs beginning next week and running through August, there will be strict safety guidelines enforced. But still, the camp will go on and give young talents a place to shine.“Everything really is about safety first and providing an opportunity for the arts,” Hartman said.For more information about the Ocean City Theatre Company, visit www.oceancitytheatrecompany.com. To sign up for the summer camps and to view the dates and times, visit the city’s website at www.ocnj.us/recreation.Members of the Ocean City Theatre Company perform a variety of shows and the performers forge friendships. (Courtesy of OCTC) OCTC Camp is always a popular program for kids and this year, while it will look different than this one in 2019, it will still offer a host of activities for young talents to hone their performing skills.
continue reading » An Atlanta man was sentenced to two years in prison for setting up a fake business to steal car loans that cost more than $167,000 in losses for three Virginia credit unions.U.S. District Judge Arenda L. Wright Allen also ordered Sheldon Franklin last month to pay $167,529 in restitution and serve five years of supervised release following his prison sentence.For nearly two years, the 31-year-old Franklin fraudulently obtained car loans from the $81 billion Navy Federal Credit Union in Vienna, the $2.3 billion Langley Federal Credit Union in Newport News, and the $365 million NSWC Federal Credit Union in Dahlgren.To carry out his scheme, Franklin opened a business bank account at the $1.5 billion Bayport Credit Union in Newport News. In the account application, he listed himself as the sole owner of a car dealership and provided the credit union with a false document from the IRS that purportedly assigned his employer identification number, according to federal prosecutors. 15SHARESShareShareSharePrintMailGooglePinterestDiggRedditStumbleuponDeliciousBufferTumblr
Tobiloba Amusan The race which was her first in the city was won by fastest woman in the barrier race this year, Jamaican Danielle Williams who clocked 12.46.As predicted by track and field aficionados, USA’s reigning world champion Kendra Harrisson was second behind Williams in 12.66 secs.Although Amusan could not match her PB of 12.49secs achieved earlier this year, she no doubt has establish her name as a force in the women’s sprint hurdle.The petite hurdler has already qualified for the final of the event scheduled to hold at the Memmorial Van Damme in Brussels, Belgium for the second consecutive year.Amusan’s compatriot, Blessing Okagbare failed to make the podium in the women’s 200m, clocking 22.83 to place fifth at the Muller Grand Prix.Shaunae Miller-Uibo the Olympic 400m champion from The Bahamas, had been caught by Dina Asher-Smith by the half-way stage while two-time world champion Dafne Schippers also looked poised to strike.But the long-striding Miller-Uibo kept her cool and reeled in Asher-Smith down the home straight, replicating her victory from last year.She crossed the line in 22.24 (0.4m/s), which would have surely been quicker in warmer conditions and on a faster track.Asher-Smith held on for second place in 22.36 with Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce completing the double-barreled podium with 22.50. Schippers was a few strides behind in 22.81.“The race didn’t go to plan,” said Miller-Uibo, who set a meeting record of 22.15 when winning here last year. “My start was just horrible and I had to rely on that 400m strength to get through.“I’m feeling good. Before the race we had an idea of how we wanted the race to go and it didn’t go as planned so I’m happy for the win and ready to move on to the next.”In what was possibly one of the closest ever men’s 100m races in IAAF Diamond League history, just 0.10 separated all eight finalists and 0.008 split the top two.In the end, Jamaica’s 2011 world champion Yohan Blake was given the verdict over Britain’s Adam Gemili as both were timed at 10.07 (2.0m/s). USA’s Michael Rodgers was close behind in third place with 10.09.Share this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegram *Field to hot for Okagbare in 200m, finishes in fifth placeDuro IkhazuagbeNigerian star Tobiloba Amusan finished third in the women’s 100m sprint hurdles event of the IAAF Diamond League meeting in Birmingham yesterday, clocking 12.71secs.
Abuja, Nigeria | AFP | Arsenal forward Alex Lwobi sent Nigeria to the 2018 World Cup finals with the winning goal in a 1-0 African qualifying victory over Zambia on Saturday.The Super Eagles became the first African team to advance to Russia after taking an unassailable lead atop Group B. It will be their sixth World Cup finals appearance.Substitute Iwobi blasted home a pullback by Shehu Abdullahi 17 minutes from time to secure qualification.“We were lucky that Iwobi came off the bench to make the difference,” said Nigeria’s German coach Gernot Rohr.“It was a difficult game and we didn’t underrate Zambia. We knew it will be a tough game and that was the case.”Zambia coach Wedson Nyirenda felt his team had dominated for long periods.“They got a half chance and they used their experience to punish us,” he said.“But we acquitted ourselves very well. This was the best game of this group.”In a high tempo first half, Zambia thought they had taken the lead when Augustin Mulenga bundled home but his 23rd minute effort was disallowed for offside.In the 36th minute, Zambia striker Alex Ngonga, whose pace troubled the Nigeria defence throughout, forced goalkeeper Ikechukwu Ezenwa to parry the ball behind for a corner. The Super Eagles peppered the Zambian goal with shots in the closing minutes of the first half, but skipper Mikel Obi, Odion Ighalo and Moses Simon all failed to trouble Zambian goalkeeper Kennedy Mweene.Nigeria were the brighter of the two teams after the break as Wilfred Ndidi saw his looping header pushed away by Mweene.The Eagles carved out the better chances, although Zambia looked dangerous on the counter attack until Iwobi settled the affair and sent Nigeria to the World Cup finals.StandingsNigeria 5 4 1 0 11 3 13 – qualifiedZambia 5 2 1 2 6 5 7Cameroon 5 1 3 1 5 7 6Algeria 5 0 1 4 3 10 1 Share on: WhatsApp
Pittsburgh Pirates left fielder Starling Marte is seen during during a news conference where his contract extension was discussed before a spring exhibition baseball game against the New York Yankees in Bradenton, Fla., Thursday, March 27, 2014. (AP Photo/Carlos Osorio)BRADENTON, Fla. (AP) – Starling Marte wants to be part of what he hopes will be a long run of success for the Pittsburgh Pirates.Less than two years after his major league debut, the 25-year-old outfielder finalized a $31 million, six-year contract with the Pirates on Thursday.“There are a lot of reasons,” Marte said through interpreter Peter Greenberg, his agent. “I didn’t feel I needed to wait because I like where I am. I have confidence in the organization and I feel comfortable.”Marte receives a $2 million signing bonus from the Pirates, who are coming off their first postseason appearance since 1991. He gets salaries of $500,000 this season, $1 million next year, $3 million in 2016, $5 million in 2017, $7.5 million in 2018 and $10 million in 2019.Pittsburgh has an $11.5 million option for 2020 with a $2 million buyout. If that option is exercised, the Pirates have a $12.5 million option for 2021 with a $1 million buyout.If Marte finishes among the top five in MVP in any of the next six seasons, the option prices would increase by $500,000 each. If he finishes among the top five in 2020, the option for the next year would go up by $500,000. The option prices can increase by a maximum of $1 million each.The deal replaces a one-year contract agreed to earlier this month that would have paid him $516,000 while in the major leagues and $300,000 while in the minors. He would have been eligible for arbitration after the 2015 season and for free agency after the 2018 World Series.Marte hit .280 with 12 homers, 35 RBIs and a team-high 41 steals last year, his first full season in the majors. When he made his big league debut at Houston on July 26, 2012, he led off the game with a first-pitch home run against Dallas Keuchel.Marte has a .275 career batting average with 53 stolen bases and a .773 on-base plus slugging percentage.“This is something that’s part of our plan to sign young men who are going to be great players,” general manager Neal Huntington said. “We feel very fortunate Starling was willing to commit to us as we were willing to commit to him.”Marte becomes Pittsburgh’s fourth player with a deal beyond 2014: right-hander Charlie Morton and outfielder Jose Tabata have contracts through 2016 and outfielder Andrew McCutchen through 2017.“It’s an exciting time,” manager Clint Hurdle said. “We’re not trying to build a house. We’re trying to create a home. This is tangible evidence that we’re creating a place where players want to be, a place where they want to thrive, a place where players want to settle.”Notes: Pittsburgh acquired OF Keon Broxton from Arizona for a player to be named and assigned him to Altoona of the Double-A Eastern League. … The Pirates optioned RHP Brandon Cumpton to Indianapolis of the Triple-A International League.